A Yank Searches for a House in 'Brum

0 Conversations

My Irish Husband Tony and I moved to Birmingham in September of 2004. This past year we finally decided it was time to quit paying rent. This is a chronicle of our journey through the world of UK property buying.

Week Six: Another Week

Here's how we spent last week:

Sunday: Write blog. Drive Tony's daughter Kerrie and granddaughter Erin to see both properties. Kerrie votes for Upper Holland Road (1BR, first floor, in Sutton); Erin votes for both but thinks the cats will like Buxton Road (2BR, whole house, not in Sutton).

Monday: Put Kerrie and Erin on plane to Dublin. Walk over to Upper Holland Road and leave a friendly note for the upstairs neighbor, asking him/her/them to call. Have a lovely phone conversation with Sandra, who has lived there for 20 years. Yes, the other owner is a piss-face; yes, Sandra has a cat.

Tuesday: Ask Peter the Mortgage Guy if we can extend our mortgage enough to buy the whole darn place, thereby no longer sharing the freehold. Peter does the research and texts back, 'Can't do. Sorry folks.' Take ourselves out for carvery pub lunch. Eliminate Upper Holland Road. Fall asleep with the IKEA catalogue. Dream of cats looking out at birds from conservatory on Buxton Road.

Wednesday: Estate agent calls. Owner's solicitor says Upper Holland Road is definitely a leasehold. We would already own the freehold with the piss-face who won't double-glaze.

Thursday: Call our solicitor and Peter the Mortgage Guy with the wording1 from the other solicitor's letter. Both agree it sounds like leasehold to them. Me to solicitor: 'But who is the £10/annum leasehold paid to?' Solicitor: 'Well, no one, actually.' What a country. Fall asleep with the IKEA catalogue. Dream of cats looking out at birds from big bay window on Upper Holland Road.

Friday morning: Look at Upper Holland Road again. Measure to see how new wardrobe would fit in bedroom, how new sofa bed would fit in living room, how old litter box would fit in hallway. Then look at previously overlooked 2BR down the street from our current maisonette. Would eat up our whole-budget-plus to finish off the real wood floors someone thought it was okay to just slap varnish on.

Friday afternoon: Meet with Peter the Mortgage Guy. Sort out life, health and income protection insurance. Give him the details he needs to put in official mortgage application (pre-approved!) on Monday, whichever property we choose. Look through new ads in Sutton Coldfield Observer to see if another dream house has appeared. As before, everything else in our price range in Sutton looks like what Americans call 'the projects'.

Saturday morning: Look at Buxton Road again. Measure to see if computer table will fit in living room, if dining table will fit in conservatory. Could our indoor cats' litter box be attached to the outdoor cats' door?

Saturday afternoon: One of us looks at furniture at Homebase while one of us watches footie on telly (guess which one is which).

Both of us are comfortable with our Plan A/Plan B decision.

Guess which one is which. We'll let you know next week. Fingers crossed.

The Explaining to Americans Archive

KDixonDonnelly

17.05.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1This is the text from the owner's solicitor which makes Upper Holland Road acceptable to lenders: 'I confirm that [the seller] owns a leasehold interest in the above property for a term of 125 years from 13th March 1989 at a rent of £10 per annum. She also jointly owns the freehold interest in the whole of 41 Upper Holland Road with the Lessee of the first floor flat. On completion of her sale [the seller] and the owner of the first floor flat will have to transfer the freehold interest from their joint names to the joint names of the purchaser and the owner of the first floor flat. Hopefully this does clarify the situation.'22This is my first entry to require a footnote.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A22786455

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more