The Postcard Challenge

0 Conversations

A short while back, h2g2 researcher langsandy sent a postcard to the Alternative Writing Workshop. Not an ordinary postcard with a picture on the front and a 'wish you were here' on the back though - this kind of postcard is 'a convenient literary device wherein budding writers can practise their skills'.

Since we here at the UnderGuide are very interested in budding writers, literary devices, and practising skills (and cake) we thought we'd weigh in and advertise the challenge a bit more widely.

What's the Challenge?

Write something in less than 250 words... and that's basically it! It can be anything you like: something dramatic, something interesting, something bizarre - but you can't use more than 250 words. With that limitation in place, the challenge is to convey something whole, a story, an image, a piece of dialogue, anything at all.

If you're in need of something more solid in order to get the idea, the challenge has had some responses in the AWW, so have a look at these to see how a few writers have already responded to the restrictions of the form:

So What Do I Do?

Once you've written your postcard, simply submit it to the AWW with 'Postcard Challenge' and the title (if it has a title - something to make it distinguishable from other postcards anyway) in the subject line.

Maybe you'll get appreciation, maybe you'll raise a laugh, but you'll also get reviews and comment from other postcarders. In short, whether you're a first-timer or an experienced writer, this is the challenge for you: why not give it a go?

Anything Else?

The original postcard did also mention that prizes are offered for winning postcards in writing competitions. Well, we're not too sure about prizes (it's our cake and it's not that big anyway), but if there are enough postcards submitted to work out something like a roll of honour, something inventive and exciting may well happen to winner and runners-up. Watch this space...

But do send a postcard to the AWW first!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A22753686

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more