A Conversation for Barkhor, where Friends of Tibet meet

Barkhor Message Board

Post 1

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Hello and welcome to the h2g2 Friends of Tibet Message Board.


Barkhor Message Board

Post 2

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

New today:

A list of Chinese embassy addresses (A2252189) and a Letter Writting Tips page (A2252198). Both are linked to the Current Projects section on the main page.

JTG


Barkhor Message Board

Post 3

chaiwallah


Hi JtG,
I would ask if you could include, under Current Projects, a link to Free Tibet Campaign UK, which is a very well laid-out site, particularly for people who want to take action. It's also the local org for most UK h2g2ers.

Ta,

Chai


Barkhor Message Board

Post 4

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Good idea. I'll do that now.

Something always seems to get in the way of me exploring Free Tibet Campaign UK properly. I've had the link for I don't know how long, too.

Thanks for the suggestion.

JTG


Barkhor Message Board

Post 5

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"


Done.


Barkhor Message Board

Post 6

chaiwallah


Thanks JtG. I've just updated my Home Page and put the link to Friends of Tibet A2170982 first thing. You've done a brilliant job there. I envy your ease with all the gadgetry of Guide ML. which I find almost unfathomable, ( though I'm getting to be pretty adept with Adobe Photoshop, skils which I, sadly, cannot deploy on h2g2).

Meanwhile, if you fancy another dose of Chinese history, I've done a big lump on the Taiping Rising as a Guide Entry. Next thing will be a piece on the Great Leap Forward, methinks.


Barkhor Message Board

Post 7

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Thanks, Chai. GUIDE ML is easy, once you get the hang of it. Having said that, it took me a while to puzzle out the Guestbook thingy the other night, when Kat suggested including one. I had messages going all over the places. In fact (I may as well come clean), I had so many 'test' messages that I ended up scrapping the original Barkhor page and replacing it with a new and relatively unsullied one. smiley - blush

I'll look forward to having a look at your Taiping Rising, as I don't know anything about that at all. The Great Leap Forward I've read a bit about. There's been a lot of revisionist nonsense about that lately; so I'll look forward to you setting the record straight.

Cheers, Chai. I'm of to bed.

JTG


Barkhor Message Board

Post 8

chaiwallah



Good morning JtG (if it's now morning your side, if not , then Hi!)

Pimms Lettuce has kindly shown how to add links to other websites in Guide ML, and Recumbentman is coming around later today to give me a general tutorial.

Having said that, how are we going to spread the word about Friends of Tibet on H2g2? Recumbentman drops URLs for our Grimley Moer nonsense ballad all over the place, wherever he feels there's even the hint of a relevant excuse. Should we go trolling and dropping? Initially at any rate? It's no use having your wonderful page if no-one knows about it.

Any ideas? As you see, I've added the Tibet Action tag to my name, but I don't know how much good that's doing. Maybe I should spend more time lurking and chatting!

Just had a thought....why not email known Tibet Supporters with the link to the h2g2 page, and urge them to become h2g2 members? That might get a critical mass, a sort of yeast to get things fizzing.


Barkhor Message Board

Post 9

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Morning, Chai. Don't you ever sleep? You must be one of those Lamas who have outgrown the need for it. I, on the other hand, seem to need more and more of it, a bad portent for the next life. smiley - yawn

You're right. There's no point in any of this if no one is going to read it.

The addition to your name tag is a good start. That's a little free advertising you take with you wherever you go. That seems to pay the biggest dividend when people see it in the Who's On-line gadget, as many of them seem to be in the habit of scrolling down the list looking for interesting names to visit. So just being on-line is good advertising.

In fact, I must admit, recently I've been visiting anyone I've seen on-line who has anything to do with peace activism, and so on, attached to their name.

Several of the Aces have agreed (quite enthusiastically) to promote us when they welcome newcomers to h2g2. Some of them have also put links to FoT on their own welcome pages, and so on.

I'll write something for the The H2G2 Post, perhaps later today.

The best way to promote the Tibet issue and FoT is by writing new Entries, which are at least discussed as long as they are in Peer Review.

Sadly, I don't know anybody in real life well enough to ask them to join h2g2. That's what I get for spending too much time here. On the other hand, having a contributing Lama of our own would be a real coup! smiley - winkeye

Cheers,

JTG



Barkhor Message Board

Post 10

chaiwallah


Hi JtG,

I've been discussing the problem with my TSG colleague Neil, and we are going to suggest a link from Free Tibet Campaign UK, Friends of Tibet Australia, (and a few other Anglophones) directly to the H2G2 FoT page, or get then to email their supporters with the link to h2g2FoT in the hopes that by introducing a critical mass into h2g2, the whole Tibet issue will become a much bigger presence...just an idea.

Meanwhile Recumbentman has come and given me a download from Guidepost, ( alledora.co.uk/guidepost ) within which one can write any entires automatically in GuideML. It's brilliant. Even I can understand it.


Barkhor Message Board

Post 11

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

That seems like a useful tool! My first exposure to markup was here in h2g2 and it scared me to death! On one occasion I lost my Personal Space entirely, and had to be put up temporarily by my friend, Fenchurch, while Jim Lynn put things straight. The funny part, as I now see it, is that I need only have clicked my 'back' button to undo the damage myself.

The only reservation I have about advertising outside of h2g2 is that I wouldn't like to see people sign on, who wouldn't otherwise consider joining the community, simply to plug this issue, important though it is.

Still, I suppose we all bring our particular baggage with us, wherever we come from. And, I suppose, if we are promoting Tibet on h2g2, we are also simultaneously promoting h2g2.

JTG


Barkhor Message Board

Post 12

chaiwallah


I take your point about Tibet-pluggers joining on just to plug the Tibetan issue. I'm thinking about it, it could be a problem.

Meanwhile, some good news from the USA ( for once)

On February 2, 2004, the U.S. House of Representatives overwhelmingly
passed H.Res.157, which calls on the Chinese government to release
Tibetans held as prisoners of conscience for their involvement in
efforts to end the Chinese occupation of Tibet. The resolution was
introduced in March 2003 by Representative Tom Udall (D-NM) and
cosponsored by 66 additional Members of Congress, including
Representatives Kaptur (D-OH), Rohrabacher (R-CA), Smith (R-NJ), and
Wolf (R-VA). The legislation passed with 391 votes in favor and none in opposition.


Barkhor Message Board

Post 13

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

That's wonderful news!

I'll get that up on the Tibet News page right away.

Cheers,

JTG


Barkhor Message Board

Post 14

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

I've just sent off a quick email to my MP wondering when we can expect something along the same lines from the Canadian government.

JTG smiley - winkeye


Barkhor Message Board

Post 15

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

An h2g2 Friends of Tibet announcement appears in this weeks h2g2 Post - A2264708


Barkhor Message Board

Post 16

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

New Project:

Wear a button for Tibet: Pick up the Guide ML for your own h2g2 Friends of Tibet button at A2268506


Barkhor Message Board

Post 17

chaiwallah

Hi JtG,

Here I am again burning the well-after-midnight oil. Cast your eye over this:

A2267462

It's slowly nearing completion, now that I've learnt the GuideML link business, it's taking twice as long.

Cheers, Chai


Barkhor Message Board

Post 18

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Everything I ever wanted to know about Falun Gong... You must have been up all night. smiley - sleepy

There are some very good links there. I've bookmarked some of them. If you don't mind, I'd like to add ones like the Laogai page to the Tibet Links.

Whoever Subs it is likely to install s for your chapter titles and, unfortunately, remove the links to your unedited work and to the Askh2g2 thread.

Another Edited Entry convention is to use for long quotes and put them in italics, without quotation marks (which should always be single). This is a bit hard on the eyes perhaps, but it does improve the overall appearance and help to separate long quotes from the rest of the text.

Great stuff, Chai. I don't know where you find the energy.

JTG smiley - cheers


Barkhor Message Board

Post 19

chaiwallah


Call me obsessive. Also, having just discovered the joys of GuideML, esp the website linkage, I just thought, well, why not give em as many links as poss. Yes, we should definitely include laogai info on the Tibet pages. My next project is a guide entry on Mao's Great Leap Forward, one of the darkest corners of China's recent history. So dark, in fact, that the Chinese will not talk about it, although they are just beginning to talk about the Cultural revolution.

But I've got a bit of re-reading to do on it. Mao as mass murderer.

Thanks for tips on the Falun Gong bit. I've a few more links to insert, mostly about just what the Chinese have been doing to them.

It's pretty grim.

Cheers for now.

Chai.


Barkhor Message Board

Post 20

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

A new freature has been added to the Fun and Games section:

"h2g2 Friends of Tibet challenges you to play a more creative role in the h2g2 community by taking up the call to Challengeh2g2.

"New challenging topics for Guide Entries will be chosen by mysterios means and posted here and in the Barkhor at mysterious and irregular intervals.

"Challenge Number 1: The Drapchi 14

"We challenge you to research and write an Entry on this topic! smiley - tongueout"

(I've also posted this challenge in the Challengeh2g2 forum F150575?thread=378392, so it will be interesting to see if anyone does.)


Key: Complain about this post