Living Cells

0 Conversations


The black Cell in the middle is the cell under evaluation. By counting the grey surrounding cells we find out wheter it will live survive or die.

None or one neighbour and the cell will die. Are there two neighbours then the cell will surviive. And with three there will be a new cell, if there was not already one. More then three neighbours is too crowdy, it will die.


The grid on the left shows a vertical row of three living cells. In the next generation the top and bottom cell will die. The positions left and right of the center cell have three neighbours there will grow new cells. In the following next generation the extremes will die again and two new cells are born on the top and bottom. This shape is called a blinker, it is the most simple oscillator and has phase two.


This structure is known as a glider, it is another oscillator as it regains the original shape in four generations. The special case is this time the oscillator moved one row to the left and one row down. This glider is the only known diagonal moving object in this world.


This is another ship, at sufficient speed it wiggles the tail as a fish. It moves two steps forward, down in this case, in four generations. Sparks comming off the back can drag other groups of cells, if right placed.


This one is really amazing. Find out more obout this oscillator using conways game of life.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2247932

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more