Omaha, Nebraska, USA

1 Conversation

Omaha is the largest city in Nebraska. The Omaha metropolitan area includes several counties, and extends nearly into the neighboring Iowa city of Council Bluffs. The city is generally divided into North Omaha, South Omaha, East Omaha, and West Omaha, and further into 'suburbs' such as Papillion, Bellevue, Millard, Ralston, and LaVista.

Omahans sometimes affecionately refer to their city as 'the Big O', but this term is most often used in advertising campaigns seeking to make the city more 'tourist-friendly'. The name actually refers to the original inhabitants of the area, the Omaha Indians. They now have mostly been pushed north into other parts of Nebraska or the expansive reservations of South Dakota.

At the heart of downtown Omaha is the Old Market district. Streets in the Old Market are still paved with bricks, and they are lined with small, quaint shops and boutiques. The best features of the old market are the antique shops, the specialty bookstores, and a wonderful little ice cream shop.

Omahans are famous throughout the midwest for their friendliness. Although there doesn't seem to be any specific reason, people who visit there usually comment on how kind, friendly and generous the Omaha residents are. The general opinion among the Omahans themself is that their kindness is nothing extraordinary; people have just grown used to the gruff, too-busy-to-care attitudes of some city dwellers.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A224650

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more