A Conversation for How to make yourself a scanning tunnelling microscope.

great entry!

Post 1

Gert

All of the above is basically correct. Note 6: A Teravolt is 10 to the power 12 volts (it's a Gigavolt that's 10 to the power 9 volts). Far to much for any kind of practical application, anyway. Note 9: Piezo-electric: In this case, it's actually: supply current, squish crystal. The TINY movement of the crystal when current is supplied is what is needed to move the needle over the surface.

Oh, the surface to be viewed needs to be electrically conductive. If it isnĀ“t, I believe a thin coat of silver can be deposited.

If you really want to know how this is done in practice, you might want to look at: http://www.dfm.dtu.dk/spm/ which are the guys who are doing it here in Denmark.


great entry!

Post 2

Jimi X

Hi R103369!
Odds are pretty good that The Cow doesn't know you've left a comment here. One of the flaws of the h2g2 system is that when someone leaves a comment on a user page, you won't know it until you check back and visually see it. If you'd like The Cow to respond, you may want to leave her a note on her home page that you left a comment on this entry. smiley - smiley Hope that helps!


Thanks!

Post 3

The Cow

Thanks for the info. Oh, and Jimi, you were absolutely right. I've been meaning to check these for the last month.


It's in.

Post 4

The Cow

I've incorporated a lot of your information into the article. How do you go about crediting someone as a researcher?


That's easy

Post 5

Jimi X

Just leave a note at the top or bottom of the entry that So-and-so contributed to the following (or above) entry, give them a link and the appropriate Sub-editor will see that and give you both credit for your entry. smiley - smiley

- X


That's easy

Post 6

The Cow

Thanks. I'm just stupid every so often. DOH!


That's easy

Post 7

Jimi X

Nah! They should include that in the Submissions Guidelines someplace...
smiley - smiley

- X


That's easy

Post 8

The Cow

Either that or make it a GuideML tag. How about these?
<SMILEY/ FISH>
<SMILEY/ BOZO>
<SMILEY/ smiley - smiley>
<SMILEY/ smiley - bigeyes> etc,
(for this purpose)
and making the BIO display the current name in the right hand column, not just the bits between the
BTW. If they change forums back to allowing html, this is going to look real stupid.


That's easy

Post 9

26199

*grin*

Well, the sub-ed who's job it is to work out who to put as author has finally arrived... they've just introduced a new system for processing batches, though, so I'm not promising anything smiley - smiley.

26199


That's easy

Post 10

The Cow

ah, yes, I have heard about this. I wonder if they have the systems to stop people from editing their own..


That's easy

Post 11

26199

Yeah, there's a line in the sub-ed guidelines saying 'if you get an article which you wrote, send it back and we'll give it to someone else'... somewhat low-tech, but it seems to work smiley - smiley.


That's easy

Post 12

The Cow

smiley - smiley


That's easy

Post 13

26199

Good thing I asked about how to give credit to a particular researcher under the new system... as it turns out, the 'comments' box which I'd thought I should use isn't read if an article is accepted... I'm supposed to put it at the top of the e-mail.

Still, got that all sorted now smiley - smiley.

26199


That's easy

Post 14

The Cow

You seem busy, 26199. So what are you currently editing? I'd love to have a peep.


That's easy

Post 15

26199

Sure... my current batch comprises:

A210781: A Philosophical Question
A212383: The Idiot's Computer Dictionary
A214219: Werewolves
A214327: El Mariachi/Desperado on DVD
A215506: Worlds Chat
A218837: How to make yourself a scanning tunnelling microscope.
A218891: Time Travel
A218918: Christmas Crowds
A218963: What hamsters like
A219223: Human Being

The actual editing takes place inside a text document on my PC... my test page is only for making sure the GuideML works, or making minor changes.

I hope to finish this batch tomorrow... in fact, I'm planning on getting around one a week done from now on.

*Planning* smiley - smiley

26199


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for How to make yourself a scanning tunnelling microscope.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more