A Conversation for Predicting the Future

The future is like buying a TV

Post 1

Viking

The problem I have with predicting the future is very like the one I have when buying anything technical such as a TV. Instead of going for a simple set I always end up comparing functions, and don't bother wondering whether I actually need the extra functionality I am probably paying for. For example, last time I bought a TV, I was very impressed that it had a wide screen button, but having had it for a year I don't think I have ever had the occasion to use it. I probably could of got a much cheaper set, but then again it would not have the function I do not use.

Its the same with future predictions, people far clever than me who do the predicting don't seem to ever wonder whether the future 'functions' are A.) a good idea or B) wanted by anybody. For example

Immortality - Plus Point everyone lives forever
Minus Point There goes your promotion prospects(e.g High Court Judges, Politicians)
Telepathy - Just like mobile phones except impossible to get away and
please stop thinking while I'm trying to sleep
Teleportation - Er you mean anyway anyone can go anywhere?
Aircars - Combine the Lockerbie disaster with the M25 rush hour
Video Phones - You really don't want to see me in the morning, believe me

The truth is the only one useful prediction is that people will not change. Any
future device will be used for the purpose it is designed + Crime/Sex(e.g.
TV, Phones, Computers, Internet,....) and not necessarily in that order.


The future is like buying a TV

Post 2

Semadam

You're right.
Especially communication is dangerous, see the storty of the Babel fish - causing more wars than anything else.
Becoming "faster" means to have more crushes. Human mind cannot get so fast.


The future is like buying a TV

Post 3

Researcher 139507

A The widescreen button on your television is for use with anamophic dvd's to allow you to get full resolution. also, as hdtv becomes the standard, it will become more useful.

B Video phones are here and in regular use. It's called web cam.

C Aircars also exist, you can get them in Japan, unfortunatly, they are not very practical for use on our highways, control is too limited, think of trying to drive a jetboat down a windy mountain road.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more