A Conversation for area 42

I am not Addicted

Post 1

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit on his head
"I am not addicted to this site, I live here.
It is warm, comfortable and feels like a good home.

Even being online for more then three dandas I still experience more deja vu's then in the offline world.

Admitted sometimes our productivity drops a little, yet there is more to write each and every day then time allows."

Signor OnOff switching by
"No quitting
No spitting
Just word tapping
Keys are wacking
Merry Xmas
smiley - cheers"


I am not Addicted

Post 2

~ jwf ~ scribblo ergo sum

Hail T-i-T < 42, This 'entry' of mine (which I had as usual forgotten to subscribe to) is a cut and paste of a posting I made about a year ago to a conversation thread called "It All Starts Here" http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/F82670?thread=161841 which was attached to http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/U189013 the user space created for the Area 42 project. On Xmas Eve, I was inspired by your T-i-T Complex or TiT City as I now call it, and remembered the old Area 42 effort to organise all the details and anecdotes of early h2g2 history. I was planning to re-organise and update my posting and start a new conversation, to perhaps generate some new wider interest in such a revived project. There is certainly no question that some 'background information' would be helpful to new researchers. The current 'peeling an onion' layout that new researchers are met with, with its layers of help pages and esoteric links must discourage 9 out of 10 newbies. Again let me say how much I admire what you are doing with your non-linear approach to the Guide. Earlier efforts such as <./>AggGag/CAC and Area 42 tried to organise the vast amount of material scattered here-abouts but always in the same linear online print format like with headers and subheaders and links, the same way the Intro and Help pages put up by the h2g2 editors do. Laid out in a logical and chronological order like a text book they aren't much 'fun' and the promise of the web medium seems bogged down in print protocols. You are managing to step outside the anachronism of print formatting and have tapped into the 5 dimensional nature of the the computer medium. Your mix of words and images and non-linear links generates a satisfying feeling of self-discovery and epiphanical revelation for the researcher with every click. Rather than the slow plodding page turning of traditional linear teaching methods used by 'books' and 'online print' you offer a magical mystery tour which includes many of the 'edited entries' of substance which most researchers will never otherwise discover. If you do not yet have a link to Area 42 in T-i-T City, I would recommend you include it in your tour, even just for its ghost town qualities. Who knows, someone may come along and sort it all out. Your inspiration causes me to look forward to the new year of '04 with considerably more optimism than I had just a few short days ago. May the gods continue to inspire you and may you continue to share your inspirations. ~jwf~


I am not Addicted

Post 3

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time on his head smiley - tit on top
"I am and I will be 'close to the edge' as in 'I love the roaring thunder of Chaos in my head' just by filtering any good bits out I keep my bytes in order.

Sorry for not linking '<./>AggGag</.>/CAC' to our Site Map.
If you say so, it is still active, I had not noticed.
Indeed I refuse to sort just only linear (How I would appreciate coffee, and not just the image smiley - coffee). And scanning the possibilities of this site, I found some interesting ways.

My major concern is that just a fraction of all users is able to use and even see my creations. Why does the SITEFILTER tag not detect for browsertype, it would enable us to cancel out lots of disappointments.

Area 42, sounds familair, think I have used the sign as the mapped index of 'The Myth of 42' "


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more