Peregrin's Fables - The Astrologer

0 Conversations


Once apon a time there was an astrologer. He was absorbed in his work, and staring at the stars, divining the future. As a matter of fact, he had deduced that the world was going to end in three hours time, but that has no relevance to the story. He was so engrossed in looking upwards that he was not watching where he was walking, and walked straight into a disused dry well.

He tripped over and fell down the well shaft, breaking his lower left leg, fracturing his hip, and sustaining a slight graze to his upper right arm.

Soon another man was attracted by his cries of help, and looked down the well and saw it was the astrologer. He cackled evilly. 'You fool!' he cried. 'If you had not been watching the stars so much and been aware of what was going on in the real world, you wouldn't be in the mess you are now!'

The astrologer was so angered by the man's attitude that he threw a stone up at him. He happened to be an exceptionally good shot, and caught the man on the side of the head. The man overbalanced, screamed, and fell into the well too.

He fell directly onto the astrologer, breaking both their necks and killing them both instantly.

Then the world ended, which turns out to be relevant to this story after all.


The moral of this story is: Who cares if you fall down a well and kill yourself, or whatever, if the world is about to end anyway?The Good Beekeeper
The Crow and the Jug

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A214291

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more