Practical method of measuring wind velocity.

1 Conversation

THE PROBLEM
How many times have you wondered what the prevailing windspeed is? How many times have you wondered just how intrusive a 50 KPH wind would be?
THE SOLUTION
I've developed a universal wind speed measurement system that doesn't rely on any expensive technology. And anyone who's ever folded up a blue "polytarp" (blue plastic tarpaulin) will be able to gauge windspeed and communicate their knowledge with others.
APPLICATION
You're standing in an open field and it's windy.
Imagine the size of a polytarp you could not quite fold up single handedly, due to the wind. For simplicity, the standard is Imperial measurement e.g. 8' X 12' (8 feet by twelve feet). If other units are used, they must be stated, e.g. 0.0056 X 0.0048 furlongs. Intergalactic users could use Astronimical Units of measurement
CONCLUSION
This is my gift to the Universe. From now on, when someone asks "How windy was it?" You can simply say "It was a 6 X 4 wind!" Anyone who's ever used a polytarp will know just how strong the wind was.
POSTSCRIPT
My workmate is so inspired by the above, he has started work on a Soler Polytarp, to measure solar wind!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A2076680

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more