Corporate Mobility; The trailing spouse syndrome

1 Conversation

Definition: Trailing spouses - A temporary subclass of married partners whose spouses are in the
midst of corporate transfers.

The current demand for mobility in the corporate world has created a temporary and flexible subclass known as trailing spouses. This subclass, although relatively unknown a mere half century ago is growing at an alarming rate. Actual numbers are unknown due to the constant activation, deactivation and reactivation of this sector of the population.

Duties



1. Inventive advertising skills must be exercised daily to hype the move for any children still living at home. This is one of the most fundamental duties of the trailing spouse. Overlooking or delaying this groundwork will cause uncooperative children, the bane of any transfer.


2. Impressive people skills allow immediate chemistry with people in a variety of regions. This is best approached by adopting a chameleon attitude. Care should be taken that during this guise of happily fitting in the trailing spouse still pays strict attention to demographic reports and trends.


3. The natural ability to purchase a house or make temporary living arrangements within a twenty-four hour period after deplaning in a new region.


4. A moderate to extensive ability understanding and dealing with building contractors. In the case of a female trailing spouse it is imperative that she can read and realistically alter working blueprints without appearing to consult her spouse. Failure in this will result in the building contractor refusing to make requested changes without the approval of her spouse, thus slowing construction considerably.


5. Supervisory skills are essential, and must be meticulously put to use during the actual move. Failure in this area will result in the loss of personal property.

Tips



1. In most cases, the transferring spouse will need additional support during this transitional period. The transferring spouse has already moved to the new area and is thus relieved of daily family decisions. A perceptive trailing spouse develops vast coddling skills for reassurance that the family indeed does not function normally without the spouse.


2. Before the transfer is announced to any children still at home,
the trailing spouse should take advantage of any advance knowledge of the new area. Particular attention should be paid to any theme parks, waterfront parks, zoos, malls, arcades, etc. Under no circumstances should the words cultural hub be used when hyping the move to children.


3. It is advisable to make ready a packet of supplies as soon as the transfer is announced. This packet should include several real estate contacts in the new area as well as demographic reports, lists of both public and private schools, a cellular phone, and city/area maps highlighted with the nearest McDonald Playland. Most relocation conferences will take place at unusual places.


4. During the duration of the transfer, it is easiest to ignore one’s long term memory in regards to personal dreams, plans or accomplishments. All plans should revolve around the family unit. Once the transfer has been completed the trailing spouse will need to adjust all personal plans.


5. No matter what the preferred decorating taste, an astute trailing spouse will take advantage of generic knock down furniture purchases. This is, of course, in preparation for reactivation as a trailing spouse for the next transfer.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A204454

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more