A Conversation for The Secret History of the Knight Templars

Interesting...

Post 1

Jimi X

Have you read Focult's Pendulum by Umberto Eco? I think you'll enjoy it - lots of good stuff about the Templars, their link to Masonry, and other arcane knowledge. It's a fictional work, but very well done.
He also wrote In the Name of the Rose, which was another good one.
If you've got some time to kill, these are both excellent novels! smiley - smiley


Interesting...

Post 2

Adz

Time to kill = 45 minutes to and from work everyday on our illustrious tube system.

At this rate, Amazon is going to get rich off me.

I recently read the "History of the Knights Templar" that was written in 1842 by a member of the Inner Temple. Its pretty dry, but there's a lot of interest in there.
I checked out the Temple Church over the weekend too, and am now curious enough to make some enquiries about joining, though I'd like to know what I was getting into.

Reading "Dungeon, Fire and Sword" at the moment which is a very enjoyable read.

Are these ones you refered me to fiction or non? I'd quite enjoy either.

These guys' intrigue is just too cool. You just don't find selflessness like that anymore.


Interesting...

Post 3

Jimi X

Both are fictional, but very well-researched. smiley - smiley
Lots of Latin in Name of the Rose, but what would you expect from Italian monks?


Interesting...

Post 4

Adz

Sounds like my bag then, I love that knightly virtue stuff.
You say there's a bunch of it in Latin? I guess there's someway they give the jist of it to you, right?

As for Italian Monks, I think we're all very well aware of what men of the cloth are capable of. smiley - smiley


Interesting...

Post 5

Jimi X

Yeah, it'll be *right* up your alley...
Monks doing a bit of murder, mystery and mayhem!! smiley - smiley


Interesting...

Post 6

Adz

... but it's OK! It's all being done in the name of God and for His greater glory!

This is really a unique kind of time. Makes you wonder where the church really lost the plot about being an organisation where everyone is nice to their fellow man to a political subterfuge organisation that would do anything to rule Europe.

There any damsels in towers for the knights to rescue?


Interesting...

Post 7

Jimi X

Naw, that's Ivanhoe. smiley - winkeye


Interesting...

Post 8

Adz

Whoa, knights kicking ass for god and there are no women involved! Back when religious knights were chaste and the secular ones were debaucherous. I suppose there's no dragons in it either!


Interesting...

Post 9

Jimi X

Sorry! But there is a good chase scene! smiley - winkeye


Interesting...

Post 10

Adz

Yeah, I saw the classic in the last year with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. Chivilrous knights rule.


Interesting...

Post 11

Jimi X

I've always thought the all-time classic chase scene belonged to Steve McQueen in "Bullit"
Driving like a madman at really high speeds!! (And he did his own stunts!) smiley - smiley


Interesting...

Post 12

Adz

Even more amazing than the overly destructive final car chase in the 'Blues Brothers?' - 350+ cars I believe....


Interesting...

Post 13

Jimi X

It's not so much the destruction as it is the sheer speed. Really wild!

Though for the Blues Brothers, I like the chase scene through the shopping mall better. I lived in Chicago in '75 and we shopped there, so it was pretty cool to see them trashing the place like that!


Interesting...

Post 14

Adz

I bet, the amount of destruction in that movie was incredible. I can empathise with speed though, I used to drive fast on deserted motorways in the early hours of the morning with some pleasurable music on. I kinda miss that.


Interesting...

Post 15

Jimi X

You've simply got to rent the movie "Bullit" that scene will knock you socks off if you've driven way tooo fast yourself!


Interesting...

Post 16

Adz

Heh, when the car is shaking so violently that it feels like its about to break up, then you've gone too fast...
So when was the film made? My local only has new releases smiley - sadface


Interesting...

Post 17

Jimi X

Late 60s or early 70s.
You need to move to a better neighbourhood! (or at least one with a better video store!) smiley - winkeye


Interesting...

Post 18

Adz

But Maida Vale rules!

Main problem is that the lovely little organic vegetable shop round the corner has just closed down.

It's not so-much-fun running all the way in the chill to the shops either.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more