A Conversation for UnderGuideLines

18 syllable haikus

Post 1

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

Hello!

I'd like to challenge what I've read.... 18 syllable haikus are not acceptable? ... That means missing out. Sometimes a syllable can not be sacrificed.

Modern poetry learns from the poetic tradition, but that does not mean conforming. What if Ginsberg conformed? What if Emily Dickinson wrote only to fit the norm?

I think the idea of throwing out any form of writing just because it does not suit an exact ideal is rather unfortunate. Especially in poetry.

Modern sonnets are often 13, 15 or 16 lines instead of 14....

Did I REALLY read that 18 syllable haikus are not allowed? smiley - erm

I think that's fundamentally counterproductive to what I assume is the spirit of the UnderGuide... smiley - erm

Anyway, that's my humble opinion. Cheers.


18 syllable haikus

Post 2

Mrs Zen

"It is worth noting that some of the most successful UnderGuide entries do not actually conform to every single one of these guidelines. They are guidelines, remember!"

I *loathe* Haiku. Really truly profoundly hate the form. The main reason being that people without a poetic hair on their heads treat them like crossword puzzles. They confuse 'simple' with 'easy'. That said, I picked out some of Chaiwallah's truly exceptional Haiku, and they will be featured in the UnderGuide very soon.

I am something of a formal purist when it comes to poetry. I agree that you can produce a stunning piece of poetry in 18 syllables, but what you have produced is not a Haiku, and should not be called 'Haiku'. 'Haiku-like', perhaps. But not 'Haiku'.

I have even more issues with sonnets, to be honest, for a whole bunch of reasons; the main one being that I don't think in iambic pentameters. Iambs, yes. Pentameters, no. Annoyingly, I have to write a sonnet this weekend for an OU course I am doing.

My feeling, and it is very strong, is that if you have a label for a thing, and the thing does not fit the label, then the label should not be used. Smoked turkey rashers are not 'bacon'. Texturised vegetable protein is not 'meat'. 18 syllables is not a 'Haiku'.

All of which is just personal bitching - if the poetry is good enough we'll nick it for the UnderGuide. Of *course* we will!

Ben


18 syllable haikus

Post 3

Dragonfly. "A poet can survive everything but a misprint"-- Oscar Wilde

smiley - cheers

Thanks for all of your comments.

Good luck with that sonnet assignment. I loathe iambic pentameter, and thankfully haven't had to try to write it for a couple of years!!! ::phew::


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more