Bonfire Night Cuisine

1 Conversation

Basking in the radiant heat of a bonfire whilst watching fireworks burst overhead is a wonderful experience, but Bonfire Night isn't complete unless you've got something good to eat. When you're out in the cold of a November night, there's nothing more satisfying than a piping hot baked potato or a thick slab of meat and potato pie. Treacle toffee mustn't be forgotten, either - incredibly popular and almost irresistible, and a fantastic way of temporarily silencing any particularly exuberant children.

Other more unusual foods exist, too - black peas were popular at bonfire celebrations in my part of the world, and could only be prepared by soaking them for what felt like the best part of a month.

The aim of this page is to gather a range of recipes and ideas for ideal Bonfire Night food, as well as answering questions about some of the more esoteric culinary customs - where did the custom of eating black peas originate, for instance? Please submit your suggestions - they'll be compiled below - and here's hoping you enjoy a great Bonfire Night!

Recipes

Cooking baked potatoes on a bonfire

DelphicOracle has this advice to offer:
  1. You have to wrap the potato in aluminium foil first.
  2. Using a long stick (or similar long sticky thing), shove the potato gently into the bottom of the burning heap. Don't fling it madly at the top of the bonfire, or anyone standing around the other side might get mildly peeved. Or worse.
  3. You can cheat by semi-cooking it first in a m*crow*ave. But don't do that.
  4. Don't lose your stick. You will want to retrieve the potato, at some point, possibly about forty-five minutes later. You'll also need gloves to open the foil, unless you really aren't very fond of the skin on your hands.
  5. You'll be wanting a bit of salt and butter on that. Shun all margarines.
  6. Pass the pepper, would you?

Bonfire Night potato fillings

Austin Morris has offered a recipe for this traditional Bonfire Night filling:

  1. Bake your potato as normal, but take it out of the oven around ten minutes before it's done. Leave the oven on - you'll be popping the potato back in a moment
  2. Cut the potato in half and scoop out the insides
  3. Mix the scooped-out potato with finely chopped onion and diced corned beef, a sprinkling of salt and pepper and a dash of Worcestershire sauce
  4. Pile the mixture back into the potato skins, return to the oven and cook for the final ten minutes
  5. Take your potato from the oven, sprinkle with grated cheese and put under the grill for around 10 minutes, for that finishing touch. Enjoy!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A200106

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more