South Padre Island, Texas, USA

0 Conversations

At first glance, one wouldn't think a place so reknown for it's 'vacation-spot-ness' like South Padre Island would be a great place to sop on a hitchhiking spress, but then you might miss one of the true treats of the Texas Gulf Coast.

The only obvious problem with SPI is housing. If your hopping freight cars, this might not be a problem, assuming you don't plan on being there more than one day, but overnight stays are chancy for the cost-conscious hitchhiker. If you've been travelling cross-country with Mexican Immigrant workers, and have a little saved up in the housting fund, the cheapers hotels will run you anywhere from $40 to $60, depending on the season. Of course, the bed coverings are entirely too thin. Unless you like your nights cold, be sure to pack an extra towel.

The month of March and the last week in April are the busiest times, when every college student on the planet descends onto the island for their week of beer, beer, and sun. The second week in April is probably a good time to go, if you have a choice. The weather warms up during the day, and the sea-breezes cool the Island at night, and there are plenty of lower priced vacancies.

As far as dining goes, Tom's Restraunt has great waffles for just $2.50. If you only have one day on the island, I'd suggest dropping by Naturally's for lunch. Their $2.50 smoothies are great, and they have a salad bar, as well as other organic/vegetarian dishes. Naturally's is open Monday thru Saturday, 9:30-6:00, 10:00 to 5:30 for the cafe. Happy Hour is 3:30 to 4:30, when you can get two smoothies for the price of one. A trip to SPI wouldn't be complete without stopping by at Isla, the red building on Padre Street. The prices may be painful, but you can usually find something on the back bargain rack worth grabbing. Isla is also one of the few places that goes out of its way to further the tropical atmosphere. SPI is already full of white sand, why'd they have to build so many white and tan buildings? In any case, the town is also supplied with generics foodstuffs by the Blue Marlin Supermarket, and there is also a standard assortment of fast-food chains and gas stations. The nothern part of the city blends into the state park that runs the rest of the way up the coast. Miles and miles of white wind-swept beaches await your perusal. If you have see-gull phobia, or like to sleep in, don't go.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A193105

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more