Idiot stick

0 Conversations

"Idiot stick" is a remarkably flexible piece of American slang. It refers to any vaguely stick-shaped tool used by someone who really ought to find something better to do. I first encountered the term as Depression-era slang referring to a shovel used by ditch-diggers: "An idiot stick is a stick with an idiot at one end and an idiot at the other." However, it's also been used to refer to a hoe, a derisive reference to people who would spend all day in the fields when they could escape to the big city.

In the VietNam war, the term had two meanings. It could be used to refer to an infantryman's rifle, or to the yoke used by the Vietnamese to carry buckets or baskets (see http://www.ov-1.com/misc/lingo.html).

Some people also use "idiot stick" to refer to the very old style of semaphore turn signals used on VW beetles in the early years (see http://www.ctel.net/~drotski/beetline.html).

Steve Dean wrote an SF short story titled "The Idiot Stick", and Damon Knight did one titled "Idiot Stick". As I haven't read either one, though, I don't know which meaning they were using.

Finally, "idiot stick" has also been used to refer to the old comic slapstick from vaudeville days: "Like slapstick comedians straight out of vaudeville, the National Gambling Impact Study Commission members hit themselves with an idiot stick Monday when they voted to recommend banning college sports betting in America. " (That's from http://www.lvrj.com/lvrj_home/1999/May-19-Wed-1999/news/11203793.html).

All, in all, a remarkably flexible pair of words.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A189597

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more