Lakeland, Florida, USA

2 Conversations

Lakeland is about halfway between Tampa and Orlando, which means it is surrounded by Worlds (Sea World, Disney World), Lands (Gator Land, Tomorrow Land), Gardens (Cypress Gardens, Busch Gardens), and innumerable theme parks (Universal Studios, Wet'n'Wild, the Seminole Bingo Reservation).


Although there are a dozen sizeable lakes within the city limits, only one of them is more then a couple of feet deep, thanks to decades of storm runoff. Of those several lakes in the middle of the city, one is controlled by gangs of obese muscovy ducks, another by gangs of joggers.


There is no city center. People throng at the megamall to the north, or swarm at the industrial estate to the south. Much of the city is built on reclaimed phosphate mining land, so pockets of radiation persist in the suburbs.


Lakeland's chief exports are electricity, ammunition, orange juice and Pepperidge Farm Cookies. The chief imports are retired Canadians and Detroit Tigers.


A notable annual event is the Sun n Fun Fly-In, a ten-day party for flight enthusiasts in which most of the private planes in the US -- as well as a couple of brace of F-16's and a wondrous assortment of warbirds and antiques -- gather at Lakeland's small airport. For those of us under the flight path of this otherwise sleepy air field, it is a time of astonishing noise.


Lakeland contains the largest aggregation of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture on this planet, at Florida Southern College. It looks the way a space academy ought to look, but is in fact a rather conservative-religious liberal arts college. Architecture is not taught here.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A187689

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more