One God on toast, and hold the eschatology

0 Conversations


God is inside you, according to many religions. Most mean it metaphorically, but John Marcus Allegro, a philologist (pronounced 'Loony'), meant it quite literally. In his book The Sacred Mushroom and the Cross, he argued that Christianity was a mushroom cult, and the New Testament was nothing more than a set of closely-encoded secret Mushroom Texts. He didn't explain how, if the early Christians were all off their faces on hallucinogenic fungi, they were going to get straight enough to decode it again, but that's a minor detail. The major detail is that scholars have declared that God wasn't a mushroom, and it was just another example of a mad tendency to see hidden messages stored away even in the most innocuous of texts.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A182819

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more