A Conversation for 24 Lies a Second

I had the odd

Post 1

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

experience of watching "Apocalypse Now"just before I went into the US Army.
I also had the even odder experience of watching "Enter The Dragon" for the first time the very night before I went in.

The mundanity of basic training, the very unwillingness to mention that the whole point of all us boys showing up at the same time in the same place was to eventually kill or be killed someday (it was arguably a time of peace in the summer of 1980), was enough to make the movies seem more real.

My experience in the military involved no inspirational characters and no sense of purpose other than getting a paycheck.
I suppose if I had encountered a cause or a person in the world or the military that I found inspiring. I might have gone the extra mile. As it was, I was bored shirtless.

I still watch military movies, but I believe from decades of experience that those who play football best are those who can think of nothing else, and the same applies to terrorism... from any side.


I had the odd

Post 2

Awix

Personally, I've always believed that those who know only cricket, know nothing of cricket...


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for 24 Lies a Second

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more