A Conversation for Unfinished Business of the Century

Marmite

Post 1

Raine

Will someone please find a way to get that last bit of Marmite from the neck (or is it shoulders?) of the jar.


Marmite

Post 2

Rebel

a finger, preferably your own, wiped around should solve the problem. You have to REALLY like Marmite to eat it neat mind.

Another option is a bendy knife, not sure they actually exist but it's a good idea.

Or you can pour in a little boiling water, put on lid, shake, dispense into a mug add more hot water and you have made a warming, nourishing wintery drink that tastes of marmite flavoured crisps smiley - smiley


Marmite

Post 3

Hypoman

...or you could just re-design the jar...


Marmite

Post 4

Rebel

What ? Are you mad ? A Marmite jar is a design icon. A part of all our childhood, it is up there with Coke bottles and Heinz Tomato Ketchup bottles.

You are right that a re-design would solve the problem it just isn't allowed smiley - smiley


Marmite

Post 5

DelphicOracle

I thought the real scientific mystery about Marmite was whether it was a solid, a liquid or an as-yet-unclassified fourth state of matter.

I'm fairly sure it's not a gas, so you can probably eliminate that from the enquiry. Although, has anyone ever tried to reduce Marmite to gaseous form and if so, what happened?

<>(


Marmite

Post 6

Pheonix

Yep we managed to do it, and a pretty sight, it was not. Don't try this if you ever want to use the pan again smiley - winkeye
I think we've found out how they make the stuff they use to patch potholes, or maybe an improved version. hmm.. ok whers theat patents form? smiley - winkeye


Marmite

Post 7

Raine

Won't it get a bit messy trying to spread it on my toast with my finger? I have to admit, I haven't tried it myself, but if you feel like doing a few home experiments, please let me know the results. I suppose, failing that, I could always switch to marmalade, but there are so many to choose from, I'd get ever so confused. There's never an easy solution to these sorts of problems is there...


Marmite

Post 8

Rebel

if the concept bothers you it is possible to extract the marmite with your finger ... transfer to knife ... spread as usual ... have you noticed that if people like marmite they invariably don't like bovril and vice versa ... just a thought


Marmite

Post 9

Hypoman

I've never even heard of "bovril" - what is that stuff (just a word of warning - your antipodean fellows are often uninformed on matters of such crucial importance: it's a safe bet that the "marmite" I know is not the one you're familiar with, too!)?


Marmite

Post 10

Larena

Well, I don't like Marmite or Bovril. Being Australian, I'll stick to Vegemite. You can buy it in a plastic tube like toothpaste now. Then you don't need to worry about any being left in the jar.


Marmite

Post 11

Aoibheil 56832

I hate to sound ignorant (or American, I do resemble that remark) but what is Marmite? Or Bovril? Marmalade was mentioned but then again so was Vegemite (which I am familiar with).
What ever it is, if you can spread it on toast with fingers, why not just lick them? (the fingers that is, not the toast).


Marmite

Post 12

Hypoman

I don't know too much about Marmite (as in, not about how it's made, etc.), but I do know that it is quite similar to Vegemite - the taste is only slightly different, but with a gentler aroma and finish. It also spreads smoother, I think.

Bovril I haven't tasted, so I can't really help with that, but presumably - given that it's being discussed in this context - it's much the same sort of yeast culture, salty savoury sort of stuff...smiley - bigeyes


Marmite

Post 13

Bluebottle

Believe me, you aren't missing much.
Marmite and Bovril are melted tar that tastes pretty much like Twiglets, just more tar-like and melted.


Marmite

Post 14

AEndr, The Mad Hatter

Marmite is made from yeast and is vegetarian.
Bovril is made from beef and can be used as a beef stock.

The taste of both is VERY strong. I teaspoon of bovril with a mug of water is just about drinkalbe.
On toast it is spread REALLY thinly
ie only the real hard fans actually have it neat (ie off fingers)


Marmite

Post 15

Aoibheil 56832

Thanks guys, sounds yummy smiley - smiley , to each thier own. I think I'll pass and stick to marmalade.


Marmite

Post 16

Briktal Swiftsword

What about plasma?


Marmite (The Ultimate Evil)

Post 17

Bluebottle

Very, very wise.
NEVER EAT MARMITE!!!

I prefer Honey Sandwhiches myself, much sweeter...


Marmite (The Ultimate Evil)

Post 18

Aoibheil 56832

Oh yes, honey and peanut butter, or just honey. Yummmm. Forget the bread, just the jar, thank you.


Marmite (The Ultimate Evil)

Post 19

Bluebottle

You seem my kind of person! smiley - winkeye


Key: Complain about this post