A Conversation for Hot Desking

Hot Desking

Post 1

Cannon Fodder

This is a subject close to my heart. Your views would be most welcome.
CF


Hot Desking

Post 2

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

Good stuff CF. I have been lucky enough to have my own desk at both of the jobs I've had since graduating college, but have heard stories from others who have not been so lucky. I like the term "hot desking" - I had never heard this phenomenon given a name. I always called it "using a desk part time" or some other nonsense. Hot desking works better.

At my old job, I became network manager in an engineering firm for about a year (by default only - I'm no network manager). The main perk was that I always got the newest computer in the office. The end result was that I would come back from lunch and someone would be working on my computer, because theirs was too slow. I didn't mind so much, but when I couldn't go to the bathroom without someone taking my place, it became a little much.


Hot Desking

Post 3

Cannon Fodder

I used to have a desk in all my previous jobs. I always managed to get a cubicle in the corner of the office with a good window view (this often took time, waiting for people to quit/die, but worth the wait).

I even scrounged a big leafy plant once. It attacked anyone foolish enough to to try and disturb my game of Duke Nukem (running around virtual worlds blowing up your collegues then trampling their bloody corpses - happy days).

CF


Hot Desking

Post 4

The Ghost Of TV's Frink

Ah yes, we used to play Quake at lunch. I used to have a window also.......oh well, the extra pay makes up for it.


Hot Desking

Post 5

Pip

Hot desk? A job would be nice!

No one wants you when you've had a long break from employment to bring up your scroggs.

I've done all the courses, updated the skills, but they won't give me a chance.

Sorry .... I'm feeling sorry for myself and could stop this outburst of self-pity

Pip


Hot Desking

Post 6

Cannon Fodder

PIP - Do not fret - ADVERTISE.

What did you used to do?
What do you want to do?
What training have you recieved?

Hell, enough of us trample through H2G2 to give you a point in the right direction and keep you from peril. That is as long as you don't want to be a traffic warden. Did anyone spit?

CF


Hot Desking

Post 7

Pip

Traffic Warden!!!*@*!! You should take a look at my article on Peak Caps and I'm sure you will want to join the Jobsworh campaign to help these poor souls.

No, I'm a Book-keeper/Administrator and I've even got letters after my name (sad) since I updated my book-keeping skills and became a member of the Institute of Certified Book-keepers.

My biggest problem is I've been out of paid employment for 20 years. In the interim I have run a family business and raised sproggs. Now that I want to work for an employer again my problems are three-fold

1 - I'm a wrinkly
2 - My legs don't go right up to my chin anymore
3 - I lack current experience

I'm going to try temping for a while to address point 3 and then see if points 1 and 2 really do matter in this politically-correct world!

Pip


Hot Desking

Post 8

Cannon Fodder

Sorry about the delay in responding ... I have been retraining!

As far as point 3 is concerned, temping seems to be the way to go nowadays. It seems that a lot of companies use temps and recruit from there. If not, you will still get A: experience and B: paid.

As far as point 1 and 2 are concerned ... I have current experience in 3 areas of business and they seem to rate differently in each:

Administration. You dont want to know.
Technical Training. Legs & Looks of no importance
Management Consultancy. Good news. The Weathered Look is IN!!


Question: How bad exactly are 1 & 2 ? smiley - winkeye


Hot Desking

Post 9

Pip

Having four children made quite a difference to my weight over the years (Hence the legs no longer going right up to my bum!) But since my husband left me 13 days ago I have lost around 20 lbs and I intend to carry on.

As for the wrinkles - they are not so bad, my youngest daughter is only 12 so I'm not geriactric yet! I'm a forty-something.

Am I mad? Telling you all my warty secrets - I'll probably be sent to Coventry now!

Pip


Hot Desking

Post 10

Cannon Fodder

Pip - you are mad.

The internet is a faceless community - you could have chosen to be known as an elegant 21 year old with long legs and a faultless complexion!!!

To show solidarity, this is me: Bald, Fat, Father of one who walks like John Wayne (at least since Friday - snip snip).

CF


Hot Desking

Post 11

Pip

CF

That's me - too honest for my own good, besides I was feeling really low and unattractive. I think he is coming back to me soon - I love him so much, I'll forgive him anything to have him home. Feeling a bit more hopeful and have got myself a temp job at the University so self-esteem will return and perhaps I will feel like that 21 year old again.

Thanks for the solidarity, hope the soreness has eased.

Pip


Hot Desking

Post 12

Cannon Fodder

Pip

Cheers. The walking is less painfull/embarrasing. They said 48 hours - NOT 1 WEEK.

Good luck with the temp job. As far as the ex(ish) is concerned - that is a difficult one to call not knowing the full story (& not one you would feel comfortable talking about over the internet) - I hope things work out for you in the long run.

Cheers
CF


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more