A Conversation for h2g2 Smileys

musicalnote

Post 1

(crazyhorse)impeach hypatia

the new musicalnote smiley is not very clear..can we have the old one back


musicalnote

Post 2

AK - fancy that!

there's a new one?


musicalnote

Post 3

(crazyhorse)impeach hypatia

smiley - musicalnote aye its yellow and you can hardly see it


musicalnote

Post 4

SEF

Are you on a digibox? Apparently sometimes the colours of things go very wrong on those.

Note also that the musicalnote smiley for the blue background is yellow while that for the white backgrounds is black. So if you are in plain and have set the option for blue graphics but have not set a CSS file to apply a dark background then you will be seeing goo smileys on white.


musicalnote

Post 5

(crazyhorse)impeach hypatia

oh right iam on digibox in plain text so how do i set it so the note will be black...happy new year by the wayaysmiley - disco


musicalnote

Post 6

SEF

If you go into Preferences (<./>UserDetails</.&gtsmiley - winkeye in plain, you should see several things to set, the last being a choice between white and blue. Select the white option. Then press Update. If white was already selected and the musicalnote is still yellow then there must be something else going wrong.


musicalnote

Post 7

SEF

PS Incidentally (and somewhat delayed by repeated server crashes forcing me to repost even the previous reply and forget what else I was going to say!), have you ever wondered why are people supposed to have a happy new year and not a merry one - other than to vary it from a merry xmas or vice versa since it is OK to say happy xmas.


musicalnote

Post 8

AK - fancy that!

Merry day after New Year!


musicalnote

Post 9

SEF

What should the next one be then = jolly?


musicalnote

Post 10

AK - fancy that!

I s'pose... not too many available though, after that, you'd have to cycle...


musicalnote

Post 11

SEF

English isn't that short of adjectives! How about a gleeful 4th day. Gay would have to get in there somewhere too. Enthusiastic might be a bit risky but there's still joyful, delightful, wonderful...


musicalnote

Post 12

AK - fancy that!

well they jsut don't sound quite right... but I suppose that's because no one every says taht, you could get used to saying "Gay day!", though it may be a little while to get used to saying it without laughing a bit...


musicalnote

Post 13

SEF

People used to say things like "gay day" all the time until the word got hijacked in the last couple of decades. Slang ruins things like that.


musicalnote

Post 14

AK - fancy that!

You see things like that all the time in old books from a century or so ago...
It's not about to change either, it really gets worse over time, and there's nothing anyone can do.
pretty soon if not already people'll be saying "l-o-l" instead of laughing. That's just frightening to think about.


musicalnote

Post 15

(crazyhorse)impeach hypatia

the most obvious example is *don we now our gay apparel"from the carol


musicalnote

Post 16

AK - fancy that!

don we now our rainbow-shirts... oh wait...

ANyway what is happy clothing *supposed* to mean?


musicalnote

Post 17

SEF

The meaning of gay tends more to bright and lively than to happy. On the other hand there is clothing you might only wear when happy or which makes you feel happier just by wearing it.


musicalnote

Post 18

SEF

PS How are you getting on with your smileys now crazyhorse? What colour is this one smiley - dragon?


musicalnote

Post 19

AK - fancy that!

can that one change color?


musicalnote

Post 20

AK - fancy that!

maybe a smiley - jester's constume...


Key: Complain about this post