A Conversation for Ask h2g2

How much longer...?

Post 1

Hoovooloo

...do you think h2g2 will continue?

Even in lockdown, a time when more people than ever are spending time alone and online, I come here to what used to be the buzzing hub of h2 and find that one of the top ten busiest conversations on Ask hasn't had a posting for four WEEKS. It feels like there's me - a fairly infrequent and irregular visitor, but still a visitor - and about half a dozen other people, at least on this portion of the site.

Has activity moved elswhere? Is there a buzz elsewhere? Or are the active user numbers gently drifting downwards?

And if the latter... I wonder how much longer it'll continue. I'm pretty sure, now that I've been coming here for over 20 years, that I'll still be coming here (if there still is a "here") 20 years from now. I wonder how many people will be left at that point.

It's an odd thing, this site. It was a social network before there was Facebook or even Myspace. It was an online encyclopedia before there was a Wikipedia. And it was a place you could have blazing rows and post controversial nonsense before there was any such thing as 4chan. And yet hardly anyone has heard of it. Truly, fate is a fickle bitch.


How much longer...?

Post 2

You can call me TC

My thoughts exactly. It still has features that I miss on other fora. I think The Post is quite active.


How much longer...?

Post 3

Baron Grim

The increased frequency of the site's downtime has me wondering the same thing. Also the fact there there is basically no reporting or feedback from the folks actually responsible for the site being here, the owners and the tech folks, is also worrying. Yes, we get some announcements and feedback from the wonderful folks volunteering to do what they can to keep this place limping along, but I have to assume this place is simply being kept on life support until one day it won't.

Regardless, I'll be here until the power is shut off, the doors are locked, and the windows are boarded up.

smiley - towel


How much longer...?

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Same here.


How much longer...?

Post 5

Still Incognitas, Still Chairthingy, Still lurking, Still invisible, unnoticeable, missable, unseen, just haunting h2g2

And yet we are still here and people are still referencing the site.smiley - smiley


How much longer...?

Post 6

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

And I have just submitted an entry to peer review, and have two or three more entries in mind.


How much longer...?

Post 7

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

Yes, also my thoughts (and worries) exactly.smiley - erm


How much longer...?

Post 8

winnoch2 - Impostair Syndromair Extraordinaire

All I can suggest by way of prolonging the life of the place, is, as it seems you are doing, try to use it as much as possible; as with so many things, 'use it or lose it'.
Also, I genuinely believe, that my suggestion in a thread a few weeks ago, would increase patronage of the site; email alerts to new posts.


How much longer...?

Post 9

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I hope they take you up[ on your suggestion.


Key: Complain about this post