A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What to do with old family wedding rings

Post 1

Teasswill

I am currently going through my Mum's house & effects and among other small items there are several old wedding rings. My husband is rather against keeping mementos away in store, but would be happy if items were mounted & put on display.
The items are mostly in bags or boxes with explanation & I like the idea that they're there, don't need to see them all the time. I doubt that any have any significant value other than sentimental & if I hadn't found them, would never have known they existed.

Any thoughts what you would do?


What to do with old family wedding rings

Post 2

SashaQ - happysad

That is lovely that your mum kept family wedding rings with explanations smiley - rose

I like to keep souvenirs of my own as well as souvenirs of my family (although I try to keep it reasonable) so I have a set of my grandfather's draftsman tools, my grandmother's knitting bag and one of my partner's dresses, amongst various other bits and pieces.

Does your husband have other relatives who are the keepers of his family's mementoes?

If the rings won't fit into your collection of your own personal mementoes, an idea might be to put them in a bag that you can hang in your wardrobe.

"I like the idea that they're there, don't need to see them all the time."

smiley - ok Lovely - yes, that's my philosophy, too.


What to do with old family wedding rings

Post 3

Teasswill

I don't think hubby's family keep mementos. He has enough 'stuff' though, related to hobbies & 'things that might be useful'. I think I can be justified in having a few shoe boxes with family mementos in, even if it means our children also have the dilemma of what to do with them!


What to do with old family wedding rings

Post 4

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm reminded of a line form "I don't understand the Parisians" form "Gigi":

"A rock from some obnoxious little king is love."

Until you realize there's a story associated with an object, it's just an object. My nephew's wife went through tons of stuff that her father left when he died. It took a while to realize what had sentimental value, and what didn't.

So, when you are trying to develop a plan for saving wedding rings (or anything else), you're kind of on your own. Who knows what happened in times past when people melted down their gold jewelry to raise money when money was scarce?

How many rings rolled down the grate into the sewer?

If I live long enough to declutter my house*, much if what I will leave behind will be obvious for its practical value or its sentimental value.

*I have so much clutter, and diminishing physical strength, and the project is likely to take a while. Who know what will happen to my resolve, let along anything else as I work on it?

Another thought about rings is that the metal they are made of might worth something. Or they might have artistic value that someone else would pay for. If you decided you didn't want or need to keep them, maybe someone else would buy them from you?


What to do with old family wedding rings

Post 5

FWR

If you have old photos of the married couples, the rings look nice placed in a deep frame with the pic. Nice to see them together. smiley - cheers


What to do with old family wedding rings

Post 6

Teasswill

That's a lovely idea, but alas some of these rings predate family portrait photography!


What to do with old family wedding rings

Post 7

FWR

Or maybe a nice bit of driftwood with the rings hanging on them, as a family tree type affair?


What to do with old family wedding rings

Post 8

Teasswill

That's a great idea!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more