A Conversation for Ask h2g2

Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 1

Baron Grim

I've recently read a discussion between folks on boofcake where one person was recommending osteopathic treatment for severe back problems.

I'm not familiar with osteopathic so I consulted the interwebs. In its history, I see some similarity between osteopathic and chiropractic in that both entail manipulation of the skeletal system and both were established a century or more ago as an alternative to mainstream medicine of the time.

I'm very skeptical of chiropractic, especially when it's used to treat things unrelated to the spinal system.

Should I be likewise skeptical of osteopathic? It seems to be much more accepted than chiropractic, and osteopaths do earn the proper title of doctor. They're required to take years of schooling and get officially certified. But chiropractic also has its own education and certification standards.


The reason I'm asking is my father is nearly crippled by rheumatoid arthritis and now scoliosis. He can hardly stand for more than 5 minutes at a time without retreating to his recliner. Driving and even sitting at the dinner table are becoming intolerable.

Is osteopathic treatment something I should recommend he try?


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 2

bobstafford

It is reliable in the UK and appears to work out quite well, the state funded medical system uses it


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 3

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

It hardly seems likely that it could do any harm. Suggest that he try it.


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 4

Baron Grim

Homeopathy doesn't do much harm. But with the cost of healthcare in the US, it's preferable to research options first.


I did mention it to him, with the caveat that I know almost nothing about it. I asked if he'd ever seen an osteopath and he'd never even heard of one.


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 5

Icy North

Osteopathy clinics used to be called 'massage parlours' in the not-so-recent past.


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 6

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I'm just guessing that a lot of people who look down their noses at chiropractic treatments have never had need to try them. Both of my parents benefited greatly from the services - all major joints.

Many years ago, my left sacroiliac suffered a major impact, and after about 5 years of meds, x-rays and shoulder shrugs, the military medics sent me to a chiropractor. First some infrared massage, then positioned just so . . . When he applied his body weight, the sound was like a high power rifle going off in that small room.

That hip and major nerve bundle were free of pain and discomfort for nearly a month. I believe there was 3 more such sessions, about 4 weeks apart. Since 1997, it is only on days of very wildly changing weather that I have any discomfort there.


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 7

Vip


I wrote a whole post and then deleted it, because it looks like the
definition of 'osteopath' is different in the UK and the US. One who is trained in one country cannot call themselves an osteopath in the other so those of us from the UK may not help with our opinions.


I can say that I have had a variety of standards chiropractic care in the UK. My current lady is fantastic, but the man before was terrible. Had I not seen others before I saw him I might have written off chiropractic as a waste of time and then missed out on meeting my 'magic lady'.

I would ask about someone's training and length of time in practice. Did they study chiropractic full time or did they do a conversion course? Where?
Do they have specific training in spproaches that would help your father? How would they approach his conditions?
Do they attend regular ongoing CDP sessions and in what area?

I would also enquire about the length of sessions; my brother worked (very briefly) in a clinic in London that had ten minute slots. My brother did soft tissue work on the patient before the chiropractor arrived who did some basic checks and adjustments, and then moved on to the next patient. Nope nope nope.
Twenty minutes slots as a minimum please, and longer for a first appointment.

~~~~~~~~~~

As another path to investigate I have heard of anecdotal evidence supporting changes in diet to lessen arthritis symptoms.

I do not know if this has been supported by studies but there appears to be some research going on in the field of gut health and resulting inflammatory conditions.

Part of me thinks it's bunkum but having seen a close friend of my mothers go from practically in a wheelchair to returning to normal life, I don't know. One data point, however compelling, it not evidence, but I mention it as a possible route.

http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/arthritis-diet/anti-inflammatory/anti-inflammatory-diet.php

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2013/11/gut-bacteria-may-cause-rheumatoid-arthritis

smiley - fairy


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 8

Vip

Sorry, I'm aware I've written chiropractic in the post above, despite you asking about osteopathy. I've not seen an osteopath simply because I've been happy with chiropractors. I think there is a wide range of approaches within each term and they overlap an awful lot - in the UK at least.

smiley - fairy


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 9

Baron Grim

I'm very skeptical of chiropractors. While I have no doubt they can be successful in treating back problems with direct manipulation, most chiropractors follow scientifically disputed "subluxation" theory; they believe they can treat a wide variety of organic ailments (like liver disease) with spinal manipulation. They also may attempt to treat lower back pain with neck adjustments, a procedure that can be risky and has caused strokes in a number of patients due to injury in vertebral arteries.

If you've found a chiropractor who is successful in treating your back pain and doesn't also try to treat assorted unrelated ailments, that's great. But because of the fact that many chiropractors try to treat asymptomatic vertebral subluxations that can't be detected using conventional methods, I'm leery.

http://sciencebasedmedicine.org/chiropractic-a-summary-of-concerns/

I've found an article that, at first glance, appears to indicate that while osteopathy is well established, there is cause for some level of skepticism. Like chiropractic, it does have its roots in a "cultish", scientifically disputed history. There does appear to be a higher percentage of osteopaths that rely on disputed methodologies like homeopathy, chelation therapy, and cranial therapy.

http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/QA/osteo.html


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 10

SashaQ - happysad

I have Cerebral Palsy, and went to an osteopath for a time to help with a phase I had of bad muscle cramps in my legs. It was quite nice, that they put some ultrasound on my legs (the machine was like one of those old fashioned hairdryers from a hair salon) and then the osteopath massaged my legs for a bit. I think it was about 45 minutes to an hour for each session.

I stopped going after a few months as the cramps went away, but a range of factors could have contributed to the improvement...


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 11

Baron Grim

The older I get, the less I blindly trust medical professionals.


When I was younger, I simply assumed that doctors knew everything and you just do whatever they say.


Conversely, I've never really trusted dentists. When I was very young, my first memorable experience with a dentist was when one unadvisedly filled a cavity in a baby molar. That filling quickly fell out and the tooth rotted a bit and then "went wild". The root started growing uncontrolled and, as a later dentist said, was trying to wrap around my jaw bone which would have required surgery (featuring a chisel) to remove. smiley - headhurts

Then, when I was 19, I had my wisdom teeth (4) pulled. That went fine, but a week later during the routine follow-up, the maxiofacial surgeon found a small piece of tooth he had put back into the hole in my jaw that was protruding through the gum. With no warning or anesthetic he proceeded to start yanking it out of my skull. I went into shock.

But the worst was simply an investigative report I saw on TV. A reporter had his personal dentist do his most thorough exam. He found a few small issues like a minor crack and a small cavity. The reporter then went to 50 other dentists in 50 states. The vast range of diagnoses and estimates was astounding, including one NYC (Fifth Ave.) dentist estimate of $40,000 for various root canals and bridges and he missed the actual cracked tooth and small cavity.

After a decade or two I finally found a new dentist last year. He found several cavities in all four quadrants. I came in for two of three sessions for fillings and adjustments. I had not noticed any issues except staining and a long lost filling that hadn't seemed to progress in those decades before seeing him. Before I went in for a third and (hopefully) final session, my insurance changed and I had to find a new dentist. Her exam showed no cavities needing attention.smiley - cross My teeth have been so much more sensitive to cold (a previous issue) and pressure (something that had NOT been a problem before) since that previous dentist started all those fillings.



I'm now beginning to apply similar skepticism to doctors after having a few discrepancies and issues.

So, you can see why I'm especially apt to be skeptical of people who are not exactly doctors.


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 12

Orcus

You had FOUR wisdom teeth at 19? Wow.

I'm not 46 and still only just getting my final one through now - if indeed it is my final one, I know I have at least two plus that one.


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 13

Baron Grim

I had 4 IMPACTED wisdom teeth. My jaws weren't big enough for them.


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 14

Orcus

Ouch.

none of us do - it's a peculiarity of human evolution.

I had orthodontic treatment when I was about 14 and the main thing was removing four of my premolars (I think) to make room for the wisdom teeth to come.


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 15

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

My four wisdom teeth were removed when I was 25.


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 16

Orcus

Interesting, I guess they must come through for people over a very wide age-range.


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 17

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

They came through for my dentist. smiley - winkeye He thanked me for helping him finance his beach house. smiley - biggrin

[He was kidding. I've had some great dentists over the years. They put up with my horrible dental habits when I was little.]


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 18

Orcus

My latest one is still 'teething' - little flap of gum over half of it still. 21 years ago I was 25 smiley - winkeye


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 19

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I was about 33 when a military dentist decided my wisdom should be extracted - all 4 measures. That day, they had junior officers in-training, and they asked if I would be their "study material". Once they assured me that I would be out cold, I said sure.

I woke about half-way through the last one - and a root had a bit of a hook . . . it didn't feel good coming out, that major nerve bundle in my jaw was very unhappy.


Osteopathic: is it reliable?

Post 20

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I will have to remember to not let an osteopath anywhere near any of my teeth. smiley - yikessmiley - run


Key: Complain about this post