A Conversation for Ask h2g2

What will supper be?

Post 1101

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I only had to drive three miles. Caffe Nero has a great turkey Club sandwich.


What will supper be?

Post 1102

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I like a fresh club sandwich - chicken or turkey. With a side of coleslaw or crispy french fries, a very satisfying lunch or supper. A little shredded mozzarella is a nice touch, but PLEASE - no horrid slices of dilled pickles.

Today I will play with 2 sorts of ground meat that I have never used. Chicken and pork. Initially, I was thinking 2 sorts of meatballs - much of my kitchen is still out of commission. So 2 sorts of meatloaf are the aim. Chicken w/parmesan and a pork w/tomato


What will supper be?

Post 1103

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

This club sandwich had no pickles in it. It did, of course, have lettuce, tomato, and bacon, and a little cheese.

Tonight I will make chicken chili


What will supper be?

Post 1104

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I presume the club sammich was 3 slices of toast, with mayo? And yes, in my opinion, fresh lettuce just adds that one more degree of enjoyment.


What will supper be?

Post 1105

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

It's an Italian cafe, so they actually used a long roll made of good Italian bread. I'm thankful that the roll itself tastes every bit as good as the ingredients inside. smiley - smiley


What will supper be?

Post 1106

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Italian bread is often very nice. smiley - biggrin

My chicken meat loaf and pork meatloaf? Both terrible, heavy and dense and dry. Binned.

So supper tonight is a very thick pork loin chop, in 1" sq sticks, done in Shake'n'Bake. And maybe some pasta . . .


What will supper be?

Post 1107

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Today, the Mrs Rev returns from most of two weeks with her family - and doing what damage she could to the local lobster population. I have planned a supper that most specifically does not include (much) seafood.

- salad of iceberg lettuce, shredded carrot and radish. Optional is a small tin of cocktail shrimps. Maybe 7 commercial salad dressings to choose from

- about 3.5 lb hunk of bone-in picnic ham, baked in Canada Dry ginger ale

- about 1/2 lb of small potatoes to halve, tumble in oil with a little garlic, salt, pepper and rosemary. And roast in a side pan while the ham does its magick.

- medium sized carrots to skin and cut to slim sticks and simmer to just tender

- 4 ears of corn, to cook just enough, then brush with butter and dust with salt

- a mix of about 6 sorts of berries and such for dessert


What will supper be?

Post 1108

BEERSHARK

We are off to a see a tribute band tonight, so will dine out.


What will supper be?

Post 1109

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

The best one that we have seen was one of The Eagles. These guys were note for note perfect. Including the closing tune, the band's signature song. Hotel California. That guy with the 12-string guitar was amazing.


What will supper be?

Post 1110

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I spend more of my nights with coughing out lung congestion than sleeping. So here I am at 2:30 AM - and warming left-over flame grilled burgers for a "snack"

Sunday brunch, I am thinking some toast, lightly pan heated baked picnic ham, and a pair of poached eggs each. A little fruit (berries, apple, orange), icy milk, maybe OJ and/or cranberry juice.

Sunday supper, maybe a crispy garden salad? Followed by simple home-made burgers on the propane grill. I might even include a from-frozen 6-oz filet mignon. (A little sauteed onion for both meats)


What will supper be?

Post 1111

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

My supper tonight will be sausages with green beans and noodles.


What will supper be?

Post 1112

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Sunday supper has changed. Too much exposure to heat and humidity, we are both washed out.

So doors are closed, air conditioning running well, knuckles and ragged bits of recent baked hams simmered. And a hearty pot of navy bean soup is working up real nice. With a light garden salad to open, large bread buns for soup dunking, I thinking we are good.


What will supper be?

Post 1113

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

That sounds quite nice. smiley - ok


What will supper be?

Post 1114

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Dagnabbit, that is a fine soup - flavours and body galore.

Today, July 1st, is Canada's birthday - 152 years old now as a Dominion. So with festive affairs, we will probably eat all sorts of fat and fast foods.

But Tuesday, expected to be another toasty day, probably our home made potato salad, pasta salad, chilled maters and cukes sliced up, and some fresh made burgers on the propane grill. Followed by some fresh made fruit salad - - - good any time of the year.


What will supper be?

Post 1115

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Happy feasting day to US folks. Not too much though, right? smiley - winkeye

Wednesday supper was simple but very tasty. I had a 6-oz hunk of beef tenderloin in the freezer, and Mrs Rev got a tidy 8-oz piece of beef sirloin steak.

One black iron pan accommodated about 2/3 of a sliced Spanish onion and 8 or 9 sliced Cremini mushrooms. Once about done with gentle frying in corn oil, that pan went into a 400F oven that was waiting.

Both pieces of beef were room temperature and lightly seasoned. Another iron pan got the meats seared and also went into the oven for the right times.

The upshot was a medium done filet mignon, a medium-well steak, some fabulous fungi and roots, a freshly crisp salad of iceberg lettuce with shredded carrots & radishes, some cold chopped tomato, carrots, cukes and radishes.

Nearly a picnic or camping day supper.


What will supper be?

Post 1116

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Carrying on . . .

Saturday supper was simple. I had a 5-bone generous hunk of a pork rib rack in the freezer. That just slow and low baked in a honey/garlic BBQ sauce. Accompanied by two very generous ears of corn, an iceberg lettuce salad and fresh bread buns - very satisfying.

Sunday felt like another pig day. Brunch was 3/4 lb package of strip bacon fried crispy, maybe 20 small potatoes sliced-seasoned-fried to golden browning, 2 fried eggs each, buttered toast, a bowl of mixed fresh berries and a measure of tomato juice.

Supper was a 2 lb 4 oz measure of two strips of pork tenderloin, roasted in the Romertopf. I had some slightly freezer-burned meats of the same sort from some time ago, and that had a long and low simmer to make a stock to add to what-ever came from the roaster. Best danged gravy ever. Accompanied by corn shaved from earlier cobs, fresh mashed potatoes (w/garlic and black pepper), same garden salad . . . We left the table very happy.


What will supper be?

Post 1117

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Am I the only one here eating well? smiley - winkeye

Friday supper will be my twist on a "fish pie". Fillets of cod and haddock, shrimps, scallops, crab meat, fresh lobster, onions & mushrooms, a really cheesy sauce, topped with creamy mashed potatoes.

Served with garden salad and some well buttered toast.


What will supper be?

Post 1118

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Sorry, Nick, time got away from me. I *thought* I was posting here almost every day, but I see that that was an illusion. smiley - blush

Tonight I will have the last serving of a Chicken soup that's made with cannellini beans and potatoes and some veggies.

The day after that I will make some chili.


What will supper be?

Post 1119

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

My fish monger pie proved to be more of a 7-sea-food chowder. But DANG, is it good.


What will supper be?

Post 1120

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

smiley - drool


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more