KVRX - College Radio for Austin, TX

0 Conversations

KVRX - Student Radio for The University of Texas at Austin

www.kvrx.org

This fine station hatched as KTSB in 1986 as an idea to give UT a fully student run radio station and became a full fledged radio station that broadcasted on cable radio (yes, there is such a thing) in 1988. It began life on 91.7 FM in 1994 and changed its call letters to KVRX. The station is only on the air during the evening, because they share the 91.7 band with KOOP, another fine Austin radio station. For a more in depth history of the station, see the KVRX History Page.

As far as why there is even a point to having KVRX, well, its purpose is to provide airplay to bands that wouldn't normally get played on the air. Slogans over the years have been "None of the hits, all the time" and the current "We're not popular." So if you turn on KVRX and don't hear Will Smith playing, DO NOT be surprised. Actually, the station recently started broadcasting on RealAudio (which you can hear if you click on this big long link, so now YOU TOO can listen to the melodius sounds.

KVRX is a fully student run station, with students taking care of directing the station, providing funding through underwriting, publicizing the station, deejaying, and the various and sundry things that go with running a radio station. So drop by and say "hi," or request a song.

The only negative thing that this researcher sees is that they are very strict about what can and cannot be played, with the program managers coming down quite harshly on DJ's who get out of line. The basic rule is that if the artist has had a song on the radio in the past 10 or so years, you may not play ANYTHING from that artist on KVRX. Some DJ's think this is a bit harsh, and the rule gets broken quite often, but only for very good reasons (the DJ wanted to). But these are the rules, and they stick them.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A141355

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more