Trekkers

0 Conversations

In 1966 a new science-fiction TV series made it's debut on American television. Star Trek, as it was called, was an immense flop, and after barely escaping cancellation at the end of it's second season, it finally ended in 1969.


Now for some inexplicable reason, after this ratings-failure vanished from NBC's airwaves it became massively popular, spawning a cult of dedicated followers who, for reasons best known to themselves, were dubbed Trekkies.


Throughout the 70's, the Trekkies campaigned for Star Trek's return, eventually succeeding in 1979 when the movie Star Trek - The Motion Picture was released. This was followed by a series of successful sequels, and in 1987 a spin-off series called Star Trek - The Next Generation.


By this time, it had been widely accepted that fans of Star Trek or Trekkies were, in-fact, deeply sad. They gained a reputation for wearing plastic ears, dressing in their pyjamas, and carrying toy guns. Anything to which they expressed mild disdain was labelled as "illogical", and stickers like I Grok Spock and This vehicle travels at Warp Speed, were increasingly found in the rear window of cars.


So through the 90's, fans of Star Trek and it's spin-offs coined a new term to describe themselves. Distinguished from the Trekkie by not being sad/lacking in interpersonal skills/emotionally retarded, the Trekker was born.


Sadly, they fooled no-one. And they proved themselves to not only be deeply sad (by similarly wearing pyjamas and carrying toy guns, only this time with latex foreheads) but also pedantic. (by whining and complaining that they were in-fact a Trekker, not a Trekkie.)

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A141193

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more