Woronora, New South Wales, Australia

1 Conversation

Woronora is a tiny suburb that many Sydneysiders don't even know exists. A few streets deep on either side of the Woronora River (a tributary of the Georges River,itself connected to Botany Bay), Woronora inhabits the base of a tree-lined valley in southern Sydney.

The home of small weatherboard holiday homes since the early 1900s, Woronora now has a population of several hundred homes, most built when the area was opened up from the 1970s onwards. Consequently they're mostly two-storey brick jobs, getting more up-market as their view of the river increases.

Woronora's most attractive features are its parks. On my side of the River, the Prices Circuit side, a beautiful gum tree-dotted park extends along the river bank up to the small road bridge, and is an excellent spot for picnics, barbeques, strolls and sitting in the sun. On the Prince Edward Park Road side, Prince Edward Park has playing fields, cricket nets, and cycling paths.

The Woronora River itself hosts kayakers, canoe paddlers, the occasional motorboat user and numerous waterbirds, including Black Ducks, Wood Ducks, Seagulls and geese, all of whom are not averse to bread pieces thrown by passers by. So eagre are they, in fact, that a quartet of geese attempted to accost me for my sausage roll one sunny afternoon; however after I pointed out that geese don't eat sausage rolls, the two leaders of this feathered foursome looked at one another in surprise (presumably thinking, "Gosh, she's right") and waddled away. In the afternoon when the sunlight hits the water at the right angle, mullet leap into the air to grab insects hovering just above the water. Spotting their woosh-splash is a pleasant, lazy summer activity.

Woronora also hosts a large variety of native birds, my favourites being the parrots. After hanging a seed-ball from my veranda years ago I now have a loyal group of Sulfur-crested Cockatoos, Crimson Rosellas, Rainbow Lorikeets and King Parrots who arrive for a hand-out of sunflower seeds. These brilliantly feathered birds are curious and intelligent, capable of recognising different members of my family and indulging in numerous antics to get our attention (and, they hope, some seed). Landing on the screen door, the kitchen window sill, the broom handle leaning against the wall or any other nearby perch, they peer inside to find a likely human and then call and stare intently until we're goaded into feeding them.

The River can be crossed in two places, a small, two-lane road bridge, and a footbridge further up river. Soon, however, a tall, four-lane flyover bridge will be complete, which will help with the large amount of traffic congestion that builds up at peak times, due to the Woronora road being the main connection between Menai to the west and Sutherland to the east. Bushfires in Menai and the resultant traffic jam that stopped ambulances and fire trucks reaching there from Sutherland a few years ago brought home the need for a better bridge across our valley to the prevaricating politicians.

If you're ever around our way, park your car in the little parking lot next to the river, grab some hot chips from the take away store by the road, and sit in the park, listening to the breeze rustling the gum leaves and watching the light make the River sparkle. Woronora is such a beautiful, little-known place.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A138115

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more