A Conversation for The Royal h2g2 Geographical Entry Society - The Members' Bar

Request for help with UK Counties Project

Post 1

Paully

Dear All!

Just thought I'd pop in and say a big hello - the charming Number Six suggested it might be a good idea for me to come over and have a quick word with you all.

Now I'm sure that some of you will have noticed the brand new project that we're trying to get up and going on h2g2 - a guide to each and every one of the UK's 80-odd counties and districts. From Cornmwall to the Western Highlands and Islands, from County Tyrone to Norfolk, we're looking for brand new entries that sum up the key facts, figures and features of each of the Counties. The kind of information we're looking for includes:


** General location of the county in the UK (Northwest, Midlands, Highlands), including bordering counties.

** The main towns and cities there, plus any tourist attractions or places of note.

** A very basic history of the county (which, for those counties created in 1974 or after might include a little background about the region before the county was formed). Some counties will be famous for specific key events in history, which we'd also like to know about.

** Any geographical features (lakes in Cumbria, Peak District in Derbyshire, Pennines in Yorkshire/Greater Manchester)

** Links to other related entries for the region.

You can find the full list of Counties in Challengeh2g2 (bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/challengeh2g2/). We'd be grateful for any time you might be able to spare in order to help us get this project a bit further advanced, either by writing an entry in its entirety on your own, or by simply adding a few of your favourite golden nuggets of data to the relevant thread.

Many many thanks in advance! smiley - cheers

Paully


Key: Complain about this post

Request for help with UK Counties Project

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more