A Conversation for Stop-Motion Animation Programmes

Bagpuss 1973-1974

Post 1

zb

Bagpuss (the most magical saggy old cloth cat in the whole wide world) lived in the window of an old shop. A strange shop, for it never sold anything, but was run by a little girl, Emily, who would bring something old and broken and place it before Bagpuss. She would encant the magic words to wake him up:


Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss
Old fat furry cat-puss
Wake up and look at this thing that I bring
Wake up, be bright
Be golden and light
Bagpuss, Oh hear what I sing


And then Bagpuss and his friends would wake up. Six mice, Madeleine (a rag doll), Gabriel the toad, and Professor Yaffle (a carved wooden bookend in the shape of a woodpecker). Professor Yaffle would inspect the thing that Emily had brought, the Mice would mend it and Gabriel and Madeleine would sing about it. And when it was fixed, Bagpuss would dream a story about it.

At the end of the story, the mice would put the fixed item into the shop window, in order that any passers-by who might be interested in such a thing would see it and possibly come in to buy it. Then Bagpuss, evidently tired out by so much excitement, would give a big yawn and settle down to sleep.

When Bagpuss fell asleep, all his friends would fall asleep too, and become the liveless toys and ornaments they had been. Even Bagpuss himself - once he was asleep was just an old, saggy cloth cat. Baggy, and a bit loose at the seams. But Emily loved him.

Unfortunately they only ever made 13 episodes, so it would be easy to list them here if necessary (otherwise folow the link).

Reference: http://ds.dial.pipex.com/nigel_baker/bagpuss/


Bagpuss 1973-1974

Post 2

Professor Yaffle

I bought a Bagpuss from a firm called The Thinking Cap for my partner. There an excellent copy of the original and well worth the £45 (inc. postage), their all handmade and take about six weeks to be delivered. You can view one at the site below, where you will also find more info on The Thinking Cap.

http://ds.dial.pipex.com/nigel_baker/bagpuss/


Bagpuss 1973-1974

Post 3

zb

Just spotted a typo in my article:

lifeless toys (not liveless toys)


Bagpuss 1973-1974

Post 4

Ginger The Feisty

Just spotted an error in my editing - I didn't spot your typo!


Bagpuss 1973-1974

Post 5

Niallmc

were there REALLY that few episodes?? I could have sworn there were hundreds as I watched it religiously for years.... how clouded childhood memories can be. I should go check out the links above. Need to memorise the opening and closing lines of the show... And when bagpuss went to sleep, all his friends went to sleep too... the mice were ornaments on the mouse organ ... etc.


Bagpuss 1973-1974

Post 6

zb

Yes check this site out. It is one of the best of its genre I've come across. No adverts or hideous spelling, broken links, glarish colours.

A veritable treat in how a website should look - as well as THE definitive source of infom on our fat furry friend, whom we all love so dearly.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more