Crewel Embroidery

0 Conversations

Crewel embroidery is a form of free1 surface embroidery which dates back about a thousand years. Embroiderers use crewel wool and various embroidery stitches to follow a design on the fabric.

Crewel embroidery designs are typically very bold2 flora and fauna. The colours used are usually very bright and xxxxxxx.

Utensils

Like all other kinds of embroidery the equipment for crewel embroidery is minimal – just some fabric, thread and a needle and you are good to go!

Fabric

Fabric used is normally a close woven fabric such as cotton or linen. Fabric should not be flimsy as the wool thread used is a little heavy and the fabric does need to support the final embroidery.

Crewel Wool

Crewel wool is used for this type of embroidery. It is a 2-ply yarn which is slightly thicker than the cotton strands available for cross-stitching but is still reasonably fine for wool. It has a slightly coarse feel and should be available at your local haberdashers hanging beside the stranded cotton in a wide variety of colours.

Needles

As the thread is thicker than cotton thread, a crewel needle, which has a larger eye, is used.

Hoop or Frame

1As opposed to counted thread embroidery e.g. cross stitch.2No small discreet blue daisies to be found!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A12982476

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more