Samuel Clemens

0 Conversations

Referred to as Mark Twain by people who don't know that this was just a pseudonym, Samuel Clemens was an incredibly prolific American author who lived through the times that shaped American culture. For better or for worse, he helped shape that culture.

There is a ton of work by Clemens that is purely autobiographical, so much is known of his life. The best description of his life is "very nearly." He was very nearly a hero in the American Civil War ("The Private History of a Campaign that Failed"), very nearly a wealthy gold miner ("Roughing It"), and in between he made his living piloting riverboats and editing newspapers, although it's difficult to say which was more dangerous. He very nearly got killed at both posts on a regular basis.

His most famous work is "Huckleberry Finn," a rather innocent story that has managed to get itself banned from most libraries in the US on the offhand chance that it might offend somebody. Because of this, he is rarely studied in school, and none of his works are considered classics. This is because he offers the following definition: "classic: a book which people praise and don't read." Despite his lack of status, however, the novels "Huck Finn," "Tom Sawyer," "The Prince and the Pauper," and "Conneticutt Yankee in King Arthur's Court" have been made and remade into cinema more often than any other works, save possibly Billy Shakepeare's.

Clemens is often called the "father of satire" by people who would much rather waste their time writing praises about him than writing their own stuff. In fact, more has probably written about him than was actually written by him, so it's probably best if I just stop right here.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A126055

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more