World Cup Preview Part 1

1 Conversation

9 June sees the start of the 18th FIFA World Cup. So, in preparation for the big event when I will be presenting weekly round-ups from the serenity of Scotland, lets take a look at the four categories of countries taking part, the former champions, the almost resident returnees, the return of absent friends after a break and the new kids on the block.

We've been the Champions

Of the previous 17 World Cups only seven nations have lifted one of the two trophies that have been sought as the highest honour in world football. Of these seven nations all but one, Uruguay who lost out in the play-off with Australia, are heading to Germany. Certainly all the previous winners are up there in the list of favourites to win it one more time. So what are their chances this time out?

Brazil

World Cups Appearances: 18

World Cup Winners: 1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002

Runners Up: 1950, 1998

Ever present Brazil have had to qualify despite being holders. Some of the holder's players have gone of the boil in the last 12 months - Adriano, Robinho and Dadi are prime suspects. Cafu is returning for knee surgery and turns 36 just before the tournament kicks off. Adriano and Ronaldo seem to have lost their heart for the game and Roberto Carlos has been far from a Galatico at Real Madrid. However, Brazil always arrive at the World Cup stage as one of the favorites and Carlos Alberto Parrieira will ensure that his charges are ready for the task at hand. Brazil are talking up Germany and Italy because, from the peak, all they do is repeat or step aside. I think they are about to repeat their unique achievement and win on a foreign continent again.

DD's Prediction: Champions

DD's Trivia Spot: Of all the winners of the World Cup Brazil, despite winning the most, are the only country never to have won one of their titles on home soil.

Germany

World Cup Appearances: 16

World Cup Winners: 1954, 1974, 1990

Runners Up: 1966, 1982, 1986, 2002

As in 1974, the German's have home advantage. However, the great German sides of the past always had a recognisable general who lead the team. Is Ballack big enough to follow in the footsteps of Beckenbauer, Maier and Matthaus? They come to the championships after a few poor results against Italy (1-4), Turkey and Slovakia. Their opening group is easy and Germany should top it. Should England get through but only as second in their group then old rivalry could be resumed in the second round as early as June 24. That possible match might make predictions difficult. After an easy group Jurgen Klinsmann's men may not be ready for the battle-hardened runners up of group B.

DD's Prediction: Runners Up Unless England come second and Rooney returns against Germany in which case beaten in round two.

DD's Trivia Spot: Helmut Schön who coached the successful 1974 team coached independent (at the time) Saarland against the successful 1954 team in qualifying. Of course that 1974 team contained the 1990 team that contained the 2006 coach.

Italy

World Cup Appearances: 16

World Cup Winners: 1934, 1938, 1982

Runners Up: 1970, 1994

The Azzuri will be looking to escape the recent controversy surrounding Juventos back home especially the five Juve players, four of whom are the most experienced five members of the squad. There is a good mix to the squad while FIFA rankings only have them at 12 behind he Czech Republic 2nd and USA 5th from their own group. The team all comprised from Seria A should have the experience for the big occasion to come out on top of what might prove a tough group. There is the possibility, once they get past the group, for a repeat of their quarter final from 2002 but, with no South Korean's facing an immediate sacking for putting their hosts out, they should progress to Marcello Lippi's minimum goal.

DD's Prediction: Beaten Semi-Finalists

DD's Trivia Spot: Italy are unique of the European teams in that their entire squad plays football in the country they represent. They are not unique in all the qualifiers, however, as they share the honour with Saudi Arabia.

Argentina

World Cup Appearances: 14

World Cup Winners: 1978, 1986

Runners Up: 1930, 1990

Argentina will not be wishing to repeat their dumping out of the tournament in 2002 in the first round and Jose Pekerman has returned the team to playing in a more South American style since he took charge. Having beating Brazil in the qualifiers last June, they have since lost in the return match in the Confederation Cup and also to Paraguay (from England's Group) and Uruguay who missed out in a play-off. So, with such mixed form, expectations are set low. However they should overcome both Cote d'Ivoire and Serbia and Montenegro in the group so the deciding match should be the repeat of the 1978 Final against Netherlands.

DD's Prediction: Quarter Finalists

DD's Trivia Spot: This year Argentina return to a trend that they have set since their last return to the World Cup in 1974; with the exception of 2002 every qualifying group has contained either a component part of, or a neighbour of, the now defunct Yugoslavia. (1974 Italy, 1978-1982 Hungary, 1986 Bulgaria, 1990 Yugoslavia, 1994 Bulgaria, 1998 Croatia, 2002 none, 2006 Serbia and Montenegro)

France

World Cup Appearances: 13

World Cup Winners: 1998

Runners Up: 1930, 1990

Les Bleus have 8 players over 30 in their squad. However, the 1998 Champions are like Argentina and not looking for a repeat of their first round exit in 2002 when they were accused of having an aging squad. They come to the World Cup having only lost one game since going out to Greece - the eventual winners of Euro 2004. However, there were five draws involved in that qualifying campaign before Zinedine Zidane was coaxed out of retirement to ensure that the French actually turned up to the party next door in Germany. Raymond Domenech may have produced eight victories but the nine draws and one defeat since Euro 2004 make the French unlikely to do well this time out.

DD's Prediction: 2nd in Group, beaten in second round

DD's Trivia Spot: The first appearance by Zidane in the World Cup should be his 100th Cap.

England

World Cup Appearances: 12

World Cup Winners: 1966

Semi Finalists: 1990

I feel sorry for the rest of the England squad. One player, Wayne Rooney, breaks a bone and all is gloom and doom. What must internationally renowned players like Beckham, Gerrard, Ferdinand and Terry be thinking? England are not a one trick pony and it will depend on what Sven Goran Eriksson decides to do to compensate for Rooney's absence. Owen is back to fitness but goals can come from elsewhere especially if Steven Gerrard is given a freer reign. Yet again England find Sweden in their way, Paraguay will be no pushovers and the UK-based back bone of Trinidad and Tobago will see their game as their cup final. All together it makes the group difficult to predict as it may well come down to goal difference for the top two spots.

DD's Prediction: Semi-Finalists (even if second and having to face possibly Germany and Argentina, especially if Rooney returns for the second round)

DD's Trivia Spot: The first competitive match of Sven Goran Eriksson's management of England was on 1 September 2001. If England win the Group their semi-final would be in the same stadium, if they come second the next game would return them there. England is hoping that either way Sven's last game in charge does not come at the same venue.

Next Up: The New Kids and do they have any chance.

Demon Drawer

01.06.06 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A12117052

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more