A Conversation for Miscellaneous Chat

Hello

Post 1

AdamTheMinccino

Hi folks! do I get to upload a Researcher profile picture to identify myself?


Hello

Post 2

Milla, h2g2 Operations

Hello Adam, welcome to h2g2!
I see that you have already have updated your personal space a little - very good!
We don't have many tools for uploading, unless you have text in a document, and then it's just as easy to copy and paste.
I'll holler at some more volunteers, who may be able to help you add images from our image library. It's been so many years since I did that to my own page, I have completely forgotten.
You can't, however, upload your own photos or images to the space.

smiley - towel


Hello

Post 3

AdamTheMinccino

Damn. Is there a mobile friendly version of this guide site somewhere? The current site is not mobile friendly for phones or smaller screens.


Hello

Post 4

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

I'm not having too much trouble with my Fire tablet. smiley - huh But I've never tried to use the site from a mobile phone. Maybe somebody else knows the best way?

You wanted to know about photos. Photos can't be directly loaded onto this site by Researchers, for all kinds of reasons (all of them good, really).

BUT...you can use any picture that's already on here, if you like. One place to start looking is the h2g2 Picture Library at A692741.

Another way is to look at the code from any page, and copy the name of the blob or picture...if you want more detailed instructions on that, send me a PM. smiley - winkeye

ALSO, you can send photos that are interesting and have stories to go with them to the h2g2 Post. smiley - biggrin Once we've published them, you can 'steal' them back to put on your Personal Space. (This is an open offer to ALL Researchers, you just have to give us good copy. Just wait until you see FWR's motorcycle pics coming up...)

Oh: to submit Stuff to smiley - thepost, send an email to postteamhg-at-gmail-dot-com. (Address printed like that to shoo the spammers away.)

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor
smiley - dragon


Hello

Post 5

Superfrenchie

Hi Adam, Hello Milla.
Volunteers to the rescue !! smiley - biggrin
When I customised my own personal space, I used the indications in this Entry : A690518smiley - smiley

I think a mobile friendly version is on the list of Things To Do, but I don't think the Tech team have got around to it so far. So much other stuff to deal with... smiley - wizard


Hello

Post 6

Superfrenchie

Oh and hi Dmitri ! smiley - simpost


Hello

Post 7

broelan

Actually, I've accessed the site from my phone several times. It's not my preferred method, but I'm able to check in and post, so it works for the time being. A mobile site (or even better - AN APP!) would be the bees knees, but I know that's a big ask on our budget.

Specifics about accessing the site on my phone:

I'm using a Samsung S6 with the Chrome browser.

I use the site in Goo (which I realize won't make sense to someone new, it's a skin variety you can use but you lose some functionality). I can't say how the site displays in other skins, but I mention the Goo because, as an older skin, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer skins with the smiley buttons and whatnot.

The whole desktop site displays on my screen, minus ads. It sizes itself side to side and I scroll up and down, like any other mobile site. If my links are too small to tap, I can zoom in to follow links.

Because I've been around for a *very* long time, I also use Frames. So I don't know how conversations would display without frames, but it seems to work well for me.

I have a bookmark in my browser on the phone, but I also have a shortcut icon on my home screen, both of which take me directly to My Space. So I also can't speak to how the Front Page displays.

I've been able to read entries, follow conversations, and make posts from my phone. It's not ideal, but it's not impossible. It's actually easier to access on my phone than on my Kindle because I can't create a shortcut on the Kindle, I can only bookmark it in the browser.


Hello

Post 8

You can call me TC

Douglas pioneered the WAP and we had that even before smart phones were on the market. However, it sort of fizzled out, probably due to lack of funds. So an app would be appropriate. I have no problems with the site on my mobile phone, except that I have to look at it in Pliny, which wouldn't be an issue for a newbie. (Goo is white writing on a white background on my Android phone, funnily enough, I just acquired a tablet and it's nice and Gooey there).


Hello

Post 9

You can call me TC

The tablet is Android.


Hello

Post 10

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Hi there.

You really should try out some of the older skins, they all look much better than Pliny does. You can switch between them by clicking on the "Preferences" button.



Hey, Dmitri, while we're on the subject, how can you add a new picture to the picture library? I assume you have to submit it to the Italics and then they approve it, yes?

smiley - pirate


Hello

Post 11

Mr. X ---> "Be excellent to each other. And party on, dudes!"

Okay, hang on, the "Plain" skin doesn't count though. It's not even really a skin at all.

smiley - pirate


Hello

Post 12

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

Tell you what, the best people to ask about contributing pictures would be the Artists. Try [email protected]. smiley - smiley




Key: Complain about this post