David Icke

1 Conversation

David Icke was born on the 29th April 1952. Despite a normal, working class, childhood he rose above his humble origins to be 'the most controversial author and speaker in the world1'.

Early Fame

Icke first became moderately famous in the UK as a professional footballer. He was apprenticed to Coventry City FC in 1969, aged just 17, as a goalkeeper, where he spent two successful years before transferring to Hereford United FC in 1971.

Icke's football career was, however, cut extrememly short by the rheumatoid arthritis that had troubled him since the age of fifteen. At just twenty-one he retired from football permanently and decided to take up journalism.

After a brief spell writing for various small papers Icke ventured into television, eventually becoming a sports commentator for the BBC. This is the point at which Icke ventured off the beaten track.

The Road Less Travelled

Icke started off quite sedately as a Green Party spokesman. He claims that he first became interested in the Green party when investigating alternative remedies for his arthritus, and rose to National spokesman in 1988. However, he grew steadily more disillusioned with the party and in 1989 wrote 'It Doesn't Have To Be Like This', his own take on Green politics.

The next change in his image came in 1991. Icke's supposed proclamation that he was the Son of God came as something of a surprise to the nation. After several days of tabloid speculation Icke got his chance to talk to the nation on The Terry Wogan show. Here he seemed to confirm that he was indeed the son of God, although this was not received with the reverence that the one true saviour might expect.

'The best way of removing negativity, is to laugh and be joyous, Terry. So I am glad that there has been so much laughter in the audience tonight.' - Icke

'They're not laughing with you. They're laughing at you.' - Wogan

Turquoise

Icke also started promoting the wearing of turquoise, and had taken to wearing a tracksuit of the same colour. He claimed that the wavelength of the colour rendered it better able to channel the spirit of Christ.

For over ten years this was yet another thing to ridicule Icke for. However, in January 2002 science caught up with Icke when Ivan Baldry and Karl Glazebrook, of Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, proclaimed that the Universe is turquoise.

'If a scientist from Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, says it, he's credible. If an ex-television presenter says it 11 years earlier, he's crazy.


In 1991, when my life and perceptions were changing with the speed of light, there were many things I knew to be true, although I couldn't tell you why.


One was the power of turquoise.'
- Icke

Unfortunately for Icke's theory, and for the reputations fo the astronomers involved, they were forced to issue a correction in March 2002, when they admitted that actually the universe is beige.

At the same time Icke's personal life was

'I actually went through my books just out of interest,' Icke said to me, 'and I counted all the names that I mention in relation to the conspiracy. The number that are Jewish are a fraction. Definitely less than ten per cent. The vast majority are white Americans and white Europeans. Now, why aren't I called racist against white Europeans? Because I'm a white European and therefore it wouldn't stand up?'

1Quoted from his website

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A1146584

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more