Why Americans call Aluminium, Aluminum

2 Conversations

In the case of "aluminum", we can pin the whole mess on Sir Humphry Davy, the English chemist who discovered the stuff back in 1807. Indulging in the perversity of which historical figures seem fond, Davy named his discovery not "aluminum", nor even "aluminium", but "alumium", basing the term on the Latin "alumen", meaning "alum", a substance drawn from the same mineral that had been used since ancient times for dyeing hides and the like. Around 1812 he changed the name, rather suddenly, to "aluminum". Almost immediately Davy was besieged by other scientists who pointed out that if Davy would just add an "i" to make the term "aluminium", it would fall into line with such other substance names as "sodium" and "calcium" thus making it sound more classical and sensical. So Davy named it again, this time to "aluminium," and the "ium" form became standard in both the U.S. and Great Britain.

Unfortunately, with the over hastiness for which the press can usually be accused, the incorrect name of "aluminum" was published across the United States, (where, it seems, no one paid the slightest bit of attention to the correction in the following issue). Thus the ghastly, non-conforming name stuck, and has not been removed since, due to the Americans' infamous insistance to never admit themselves wrong.

That is why this story is never told, but be sure to quote it whenever some surly American guffaws at the completely correct English pronounciation of a completely correctly spelt English word.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1140166

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more