A Conversation for h2g2 Complaints

Comments

Post 1

SEF

Hello RhoMuNuQ, I hope I'm not spoiling this entry by commenting on it. This is a much more detailed formal entry than manda's (and more the sort I had in mind) but there are still a couple of comments I want to make:

- It may be too formal and unavoidably put some people off reading it. smiley - erm

- The nickname is in any of their own posts as well as preferences. smiley - winkeye
- We don't really need the nickname if we have the U-number and mostly vice versa unless they are a duplicate.
- We don't really need either if we are using their own email address to yikes unless we are using it to track any abusers of the system _and_ have some way of checking the email matches the U-number _and_ of checking it really is the person it claims to be (though the editors could do all that if the situation ever arose).

- I don't think digibox users can see the forum-thread address stuff. That's why I suggested they need to give the page A or U number and the name of the thread as it appears at the top (because it could be changed lower down so we can't spot it) plus the post number within that thread. For this reason I would also put the U and A number explanations above the thread-post one.

- At the end of "All the required information is not given", you could repeat that the 2 emails will come direct from the moderators (just in case they didn't get that from the previous section/paragraph). Appending "but direct from the moderators" to what you already have should do.

- In "We disagree with the complaint", the pronouns are a bit confused - from "anybody" to "your behalf" back to "that person".

- In the "Complaint Message", is "themself" now the officially accepted third person singular but non-specific? I'm more used to "themselves" despite the plural but there might be a way of wording this to avoid the issue altogether. [thinks offline] Yes: "The email address used to make this complaint is that of the researcher who was unable to use the yikes button."


Comments

Post 2

Rho

Thanks! It's getting late here just now, but I'll make changes tomorrow. smiley - smiley

RhoMuNuQ


Comments

Post 3

Rho

*adds the article to your personal space* smiley - winkeye

Of course you're not spoiling the entry by commenting on it! smiley - laugh

- Personally, I think that we should keep both entries. Manda's is far shorter and less formal, making it easier to use. However, this one is more detailed, and, after being read once, wouldn't need to be read again.

- Excellent point. smiley - doh

- I think we should ask for both their nickname and their U-number. If they gave either one, we could use Search for a Friend to find the other. However, we need at least one to find who is asking us to make the complaint, and, if they give both, it saves some time for us. If they only give one, we could fill in the blank and make the complaint anyway. I think that we do need to know who's making the complaint as we need to pass this information along to the Editors.

- I've rewritten the A-number/U-number/forum post sections. I didn't know that digibox users didn't have address bars!

- Done!

- I've cut the second sentence of 'If we disagree...' because, as mentioned on the group, it may put some people off using the group. If the group is abused, the Editors alone should decide what action, if any, to take.

- That's a good bit of rewording! Done!

Thanks a lot! smiley - biggrin

RhoMuNuQ


Comments

Post 4

SEF

I was wondering if I might also be allowed to suggest a couple of things to manda - though the spelling mistakes might be deliberate given his current nickname. smiley - winkeye In particular, if even that relatively short length is annoying to digibox users then it ought to be possible to reduce the wording further with some careful thought. The reason I was concerned here (and there) about posting comments on the page is that these are not going to be EG entries and are therefore the final versions people will be viewing - threads and all. smiley - erm


Comments

Post 5

Rho

It looks like you did make some good suggestions! smiley - smiley

Actually, we'd better stop posting here soon, or post 17 will be nonexistant no longer. smiley - winkeye

RhoMuNuQ


Comments

Post 6

SEF

nonexistant = nonexistent (in the article too)


Comments

Post 7

Rho

smiley - doh

Very well spotted - thanks! smiley - smiley

Rho


Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for h2g2 Complaints

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more