A Conversation for 24 Lies A Second

You'd sue?

Post 1

Catwoman

No you wouldn't, you'd be happy that you were being played by Morgan Freeman, because he has something called 'cool', instead of some old guy with a big white beard who looks like Santa without the suit.


You'd sue?

Post 2

Awix

Yeah, but the idea that I, God, would leave the universe in the hands of a jerk like Jim Carrey casts certain aspersions as to the state of my infallible mind.

I suppose this film does rather raise the spectre of God being typecast as Morgan Freeman.


You'd sue?

Post 3

Catwoman

God can always fix it afterwards, he/she/it is omnipotent y'know.
I'd rather God was Morgan Freeman than Alanis Morrisette.


You'd sue?

Post 4

Awix

That's a little bit ironic, don't ya think?

(No, seriously, seeing as Morgan Freeman plays God in a rotten movie and Alanis plays Him/Her in a pretty entertaining one...)


You'd sue?

Post 5

Catwoman

Maybe I'd rather watch her being God, but if I were to meet God I would prefer the form shown to me to be that of Morgan Freeman, implying a benevolent father-figure with a sense of humour. Rather than Alanis Morrisette, who would play practical jokes on the whole of humanity, or, worse, play practical jokes specifically on one person for no reason at all.


You'd sue?

Post 6

Awix

Hmmm. You think God has a sense of humour? Now that always strikes me as a worrying concept, as there's a tiny element of cruelty in all comedy, and thus in order to have a sense of humour you'd need to be lacking ever so slightly in that caring sharing empathy that at least one of the major religions is always saying God is all about.


You'd sue?

Post 7

Catwoman

Little things like very unlikely coincidences show the humour. Maybe things that don't cause pain, but a bit of embarrassment, that eventually proves to be a "charcter-building" experience.


You'd sue?

Post 8

Awix

'God is tough love' - hmm, I can see that going down rather well with certain elements of the church...


You'd sue?

Post 9

Catwoman

God is many things, but 'to what extent?' is the problem that needs debating.


You'd sue?

Post 10

Awix

To be honest, CW, I'm always very wary of attempts to describe or to define God... because to describe is to limit, and God should have no limits. But then again can something exist if it cannot be described?

(strokes chin and looks thoughtful)


You'd sue?

Post 11

Catwoman

God should have no limits in the good directions (unlimited love, etc...). I would be worried if God had no limits in bad directions (unlimited cruelty...). Maybe God has limits but they are self-imposed.

Oh, who knows? (apart from God, but I don't know if He/She/It is registered with h2g2)


You'd sue?

Post 12

Awix

God is one wild and crazy mixed-up hepcat. Probably here under U-number Infinity, but never posts (too busy).

Then again, possibly not a big DNA fan - all those gags - plus him hanging out with Creepy Richard Dawkins all the time... smiley - biggrin


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more