A Conversation for Running With Scissors

Can't wait for the Goddard centennial...

Post 1

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

...they'll probably put Von Braun on the coin...


Can't wait for the Goddard centennial...

Post 2

quizzical

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. smiley - smiley

President Bush has the right idea, though. He is in Dayton today for the opening of the eighteen-day-long 'Inventing Flight' celebration. I should probably drive up there and join the crowds, but I'm going to sit at home in my air-conditioned house and watch Wimbledon on TV...


Can't wait for the Goddard centennial...

Post 3

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Wibble-what?

Well, at least he's not at Crawford.
The locals have enough hassle from the Secret Service without them hauling out MP5Ks at the sound of fireworks...

Hey, see if you can find, in any of this centennial crap, what kind of cars the Wright Bros drove. That's been bugging me for years.
Surely something like that would have slipped into the realm of advertising, shouldn't it?


Can't wait for the Goddard centennial...

Post 4

quizzical

I'll keep my eyes open for information about the Wright's cars. So far the only thing I've discovered is that Orville liked to ignore the speed limit, and folks in his home town knew to watch out for him. smiley - smiley

You're right about the advertising. Maybe that type of car no longer exists - a lot of manufacturers went out of business (Edsel and Studebaker come to mind).


Can't wait for the Goddard centennial...

Post 5

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Edsel wasn't a "manufacturer", per se. It was a brand in the Ford stable, like Mercury or Lincoln.

At last guess, over 600 auto manufacturers went out of business in the US between 1893 and 1983. Most of them were "assemblers" who bought their parts from others, which is how most of the big surviving companies began, anyway.
Fully 300 went out of business before WWI, having, in the main, only produced a few dozen vehicles before going under or being subsumed.
Ohio at one point was the home of more auto manufacturing concerns than any other state. Dayton itself had two or three, including Stoddard-Dayton, and, I'll have to look this up, Stearns-Knight.


Can't wait for the Goddard centennial...

Post 6

Tonsil Revenge (PG)

Sorry, Stearns was Cleveland.


The company list for Phillip Hillyer Smith's book "Wheels Within Wheels" lists 1008 companies in the back of the book.


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more