The Luggage

1 Conversation

Made of sapient pearwood, the rarest and most magical wood on the Disc, The Luggage is a magical chest with certain properties. Its purpose is to carry a change of clothes for its master, and will follow the person it believes to be its master anywhere (absolutely anywhere). It follows after its master on hundreds of little tiny legs, which can magically retract when it stops moving so all anyone sees is an ordinary wooden box. Its inside is multidimensional, resulting in a number of things being seen when it opens up. It has eaten people, sharks, a large book, and displayed evidence of being full of gold, but still contains nothing but a clean suit of clothing and maybe a few biscuits.


It was originally owned by Twoflower, the Disc's first tourist from the Counterweight Continent, and when he returned home he gave it to Rincewind, who had been his guide on his travels. Rincewind regarded The Luggage as slightly homicidal, so the two never quite got along.
When Rincewind had business on the Counterweight Continent, he discovered that Luggages were quite common there, with the female ones of course larger than the male ones. (Look at humans' luggage if you have any doubt.)


When not in use, The Luggage hibernates on top of wardrobes.

Back to The Cathedral of Terry Pratchett.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A1087085

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more