Rounders - The Film

1 Conversation

Released in 1998, Rounders tells a gritty tale of back-room poker, friendship and redemption. Featuring a cast of talented actors from several generations of film, the story takes us on the journey of Mike and 'Worm' as they regain their friendship, fight for their lives and play cards.

The movie revolves around the game of Texas Hold'Em. The film does an admirable job in explaining the play-by-play of eash hand, going as far as describing common poker terms.

The Plot

Mike McDermott, played by Matt Damon, was in law school. He's paying for school by playing poker in back rooms around New York City. Low stakes games1, in which he was the most taleeted player, almost guarantee him enough of a profit to stay in school. However, Mike was too taleneted to stay in low stakes games for very long. Early in the movie Mike challenged a Russian mobster named Teddy KGB, played by John Malkovich, in a high stakes game, and lost his entire bankrool, his tuition for law school.

Redemption was possible though. Knish, a poker connection and friend played by John Turturro, found him a regular job as a deliveryman. Mike's girlfriend, played by Mol Gretchen, was there to support him as well. However, she had a condition: no more poker.

Life appeared to be moving smoothly, until Mike's best friend 'Worm', played by Ed Norton, was released from prison. Mike felt it was his responsibility as a good friend to bring his freind a good time after being encarcerated. To Worm a good time meant winning at poker. Defying his girlfriend's demand of poker abstinence, Mike reluctantly accompanied Worm to a game they would easily win.

Mike's relapse triggered a downward spiral for him and Worm. Soon after they played together, Mike's girlfriend had discovered his relapse and left him. His ventures into poker had kept him from resonsibilities at law school as well. Though Mike had domestic troubles, Worm had more dangerous issues. He was confronted by his old lackey, Grama, played by Micheal Rispoli. When Worm went to prison, he owed a lot of money around town. Grama had purchased these IOUs, and intended to collect on all of them himself. Grama's partner in this scheme was the same Russian mobster who had beaten Mike at poker.

The only way for Mike and Worm to generate enough money in the short amount of time was by playing poker. Starting with a local club, the Chesterfield, Mike and Worm tried to generate enough income to pay back Grama. Worm always wom at because he was a 'mechanic', a cheat who was able to control his shuffle and deal from the bottom of the deck. Mike, who relied on his skill, was reluctant to allow Worm to cheat. Mike, who wanted to play without Worm, began winning in small games throughout the city. The pair needed more games however, and ventured a bit upstate to a game with off-duty police officers. Mike held his own, and won steadily. Worm however, was unable to wait and joined the game. Worm dealt the cards and cheated. The police officers are veteran players and quickly realizde what was happening. The beat up the two card-sharks and took all their money.

Penniless, with the clock running out, Mike turned to his old, trusted Professor, played by Martin Landau. The Professor told Mike that sometimes the thing we would love to do is not the thing laid out for us by our loved ones. Mike told the professor that he needs money, and will no longer be in school. The Professor understood and was able to help with enough money to get Mike into the one game big enough to save Worm and himself. . .the game aginst Teddy KGB.

In the final poker game, Mike played head-to-head against the Russian mobster. Using only his skills as a poker player, Mike was able to battle back from the brink of losing it all. He saved himself and Worm. He redemed himself with the knowledge that doing what you love can be enough, as long as you can win.

Characters

Mike McDermott - played by Matt Damon. A talented card player with a rough around the edges past. Mike is a 'good guy', honorable and trying to do his best. Law school for Mike seems a way to improve himself and prove to himself and the world that he can win at something society finds honorable. Released in 1998, Matt Damon found himself on a bit of a hot streak. His two previous movies were 'Good Will Hunting'1997 , for which he won an Academy Award, and 'Saving Private Ryan' also in 1998. Matt is well known for his good looks, his everyman appeal and his frequent pairs with close friend Ben Affleck.

Lester 'Worm' Murphy - played by Edward Norton. A degenerate gambler and crook. Worm escaped previous troubles by going to prison. Though he was paroled by the penal system, his creditors were not as forgiving. Needy and amoral, in contrast to Mike's comparitively stable morality, Worm seeks out the relative safety of friendship with Mike. Unfortunately, Worm's personal troubles ensnare Mike. Ed Norton has made a career of playing interesting roles. 'Primal Fear' in 1996 he played a young man guilty of murder, but hiding behind a false mental illness. Ed followed 'Rounder' with 'American History X' where he played a neo-nazi looking for redemption. In 'Fight Club', 1999 he played the narrator, a victim of his own psychosis via Brad Pitt. Edward is best known for his ability to fade entirely into his character. A chameleon both in the way his body and emotions take on the characteristics of whoever he plays.

Joey Knish - played by John Turturro. Joey is a small time professional card player. He is a mentor to Mike. He has no illusions about what he does or who he is. Knish has no desire to raise above his level, rather he realizes the dangers in losing what he worked so hard to achieve. John Turtorro is an unusual actor. He has played in dozens of movies as small roles, or as the lead actor. He is best known for his frequent work with the Coen brothers and Spike Lee. In 1998 he also appeared in 'He Got Game', a Spike Lee 'Joint' and 'The Big Lebowski' a Coen brothers film.

Teddy KGB - played by John Malkovich. Teddy is a Russian mobster who runs a high stakes poker room. He is ruthless but fair. He has no need to cheat, as all the games and all the schemes tilt to his advantage. A talented poker player with an enormous bankroll, he knows that sooner or later, he will win. John Malkovich has starred in dozens of movies since leaving Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre Co., of which he was a founding member. After 'Rounders', John appeared several times in 'Being John Malkovich'.

Petra, the manager of the Chesterfield - played by Famke Jansen. A small role as the beautiful woman running the Chesterfield, Petra has a crush on Mike. Though the feelings are not emotionally reciprocated, Mike feels a physical attraction to Petra. However, Mike's good-guy nature wins out again and Petra is let down gently. Famke, once a professional model, has made a number of small films but struck it big playing Dr. Jean Grey in the 'X-Men' film series.

Jo, Mike's girlfriend - played by Mol Gretchen. Jo fears for Mike. She knows he can be successful as a lawyer. She loves him and wants them to find happiness, but she cannot overcome her fear of his gambling. She sees poker as a game of chance, not skill. Eventually she leave because of a broken promise, but comes to realize that she may have been wrong to make Mike try and change his nature. Mol has appeared in several critically acclaimed films such as 'Donnie Brasco' and 'Sweet and Lowdown'.

Professor Abe Petrovsky - played by Martin Landau. The professor finds a kinship with Mike. As a boy Abe's family wanted him to be a rabbi. There was no other career option for him. He was a taleneted Talmudic scholar and the choice seemed natural. However, he didn't 'see God' when he studyied his religion. His love was for the law. His family shunned him for becoming a law professor. Martin has appeared in movie (either cinematic or for television) every year since 1979. He won an Academy award in 1994 for his role in 'Ed Wood'.

Grama - played by Michael Rispoli. Grama was once Worm's lackey, but has risen to become Teddy KGB's lackey. Getting revenge against Worm is Grama's priority. He would prefer his own justice of violence to getting all Worm's money. In the end, getting the money instead of revenge, Grama is defeated. Michael has appeared in several films and television series, notably 'The Sopranos' where he played Tony Soprano's boss, Jack Aprile, before the character died of cancer. Micheal also appeared with Edward Norton and Robin Williams in 2002's dark comedy disaster 'Death to Smootchy'.

Real life poker and the Stars

After the movie was filmed, Matt Damon and Edward Norton entered the 1998 World Series of Poker. Miramax head Harvey Weinstein funded the trip in what was widely regarded as a publicity stunt. Competing against many professoinal players, Damon held his ownbefor losing, but Norton lost early. Reportedly Damon is now a serious fan of Tournament Poker.

1Games for lower amuonts of money

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1074935

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more