Childrens television - does it corrupt?

2 Conversations

Children’s television has nearly been around since the invention of the goggle box; children have been placed in front of this hypnotic box and told to keep quiet and watch it. In the early days it was called watch with mother…. even though mother was perched over the garden fence, in her dressing gown, curlers and obligatory cigarette hanging and bellowing smoke from her lips.
Not that I remember but I think it started with the wooden tops, a family of clothes peg like characters whom somehow went to make a kind of family inclusive of spotty dog. This kind of died after a few yeas and a wooden puppet took its place, a mule – Muffin the Mule, mind you! you would end up with splinters if you tried:-)
Upon realising this they went to a much softer approach, this involved teddy bears, a doll called loopy loo and a rather dubious character dressed in a cornice hat and striped sort of PJ's, they lived in a wicker basket, mind you they all had a smile on their faces when they came out of the basket and life inside a basket sort of limits the activities they could get up to:-)
The next thing to appear where two little blokes constructed from flower pots. Bill and Ben where not very well evolved, they could barley talk in a proper manner, maybe it was because they where always stoned, having been smoking from a little flower strategically placed between them. This language proved for some reason to prove a great hit even though it was sort f in a spaced out manner.
Then there was ventriloquism in the form of a sock with ears and other added bits proposing to be a sheep, called Lambchop, its co presenter used to have her hand up it’s rear end, if that wasn’t bad enough she wasn’t even wearing wellington boots! Other forms of hand puppets followed after this, they dyed a cat pink called it Bagpuss and enslaved a load of mice in order to find things that were really junk then proceed to argue as to what it was before making it into something completely different, now that was a strange pussy!
To list other weird kids programs there was Trumpton, where all the firemen in it interbred or what?
The teletubbies what sex are they; do they provide sexual gratification to each other with those Ariel things on their heads?
Noddy and big ears where they gay?
captain pugwash with those well known characters seaman stains and master bates

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A107010

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more