Theatre - What's it all about

3 Conversations

I have worked in the theatre as a technician for 8 years now and I am now struggling to understand why I am doing it. I have seen people become overworked, have nervous breakdowns, giving up weekends / bank holidays for little or no financial rewards. I am now failing to see what the point is.

The whole attitude towards theatre is that it doesn't matter if you make yourself ill, or if your social life disintegrates to such an extent that your friends disown you, as long as the show happens. What I say is, who gives a damn? At the end of the day, we're not saving anyone's lives, we're not stopping wars, we're not providing humanitarian aid, we are just creating entertainment. So what is it that creates this insane work ethic?

Nobody outside the production really gives a damn if that prop is from a slightly wrong period, or that lighting state is slightly darker than it needs to be, and I'm sure that most people would agree that it's not worth making yourself ill over.

Theatre people are being exploited because theree's so many people willing to work for nothing.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1061047

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more