Funeral for a friend

1 Conversation

My oldest friend has died.

She was forty-five. Not old. She died of bowel cancer, which is a disease I know far too much about.

If she'd been in Britain these last years, maybe I would have recognised her symptoms faster than she did. Or maybe not. I'll never know now.

But she was in California. Working in a health center(sic) of some sort as a specialist in hands and making them work better after injury.

I found out after she had died. After the funeral. A few hours before they scattered her ashes in the Pacific Ocean. No-one told me, because I wasn't on her church friends list of approved contacts. And her family didn't get to her address book in time to inform anyone else.

She'd been ill for two months.

I took myself to a friend's house. On auto-pilot, with the friend in the car. Luckily. Keeping me sane until I got to somewhere safe. Then letting me let go.

I wept out my grief that night. I also got drunk. Not forgetful drunk, but drunk enough to cry, and to call out my love and my sadness and my anger - and to honour her memory and her life as I needed to.

There is so much to be glad about, you see? As well as sad.

I am glad I met her on my first day at school. I am even glad we were both bullied, because we became stronger together.

I am glad we went on holidays together.

I am sad we couldn't go on more of them.

I am glad we counted all the thousand and more steps from Glion to the valley below.

I am glad we didn't know what 'non-potable' meant.

I am sad we couldn't have had longer in Switzerland.

I am glad we stayed out late and ran through the streets at the fire-festival.

I am glad we didn't know at the age of fourteen that you didn't sleep inside the covers of the duvets.

I am glad we got soaked in St. Mark's Square. And I am glad we didn't care.

I am sad we never managed to look under David's figleaf...

I am glad we ate real pizza on the Ponte Vecchio.

I am glad we discovered exactly why the Two Gentlemen of Verona were so keen to move to Venice.

I am glad we got told off for sitting on the steps of the Vatican.

I am sad we never saw the Aurora Borealis.

I am glad we got drunk in Florence.

I am glad we decided to drive home in the middle of the night even though we both had to work the next day.

I am glad we had hard times, because we cried together.

I am sad we had to cry together when laughing was so much more fun.

I am glad we had good times, because we laughed together - at all the wrong things.

I am glad we had so much in common - and so little. And I am glad it didn't matter.

I am glad we spent all the bus fare on fairground rides and had to walk three miles to get home.

I am glad we didn't get found out...

I am glad we went to the fireworks displays and shouted in the crowds.

I am sad that so many of your men were such shits.

I am glad we walked the soles of our shoes into holes in the Peak District.

I am glad we broke down in Wales.

I am sad you never had children - you'd have made a good mother.

I am glad we went to York and pretended to be experts on steam engines...

I am glad we stood in Cambridge solemnly looking at the roof of one building until we had attracted a crowd of tourists...

I am glad we liked the same films.

I am glad we didn't like the same men...

I am glad we cooked those really bad meals...

I am glad we loved art and music, sculpture and wine...

I am sad we had such a short time together.

I am glad we had such a long time together.

I am infinitely glad to have so much to remember...

And I am infinitely sad that now, I am the only one on this earth who can remember so much of the life that was you.

Blessings, my friend.

I loved you. And I still do.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A1050724

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more