A Conversation for What's your favourite episode of Blackadder?

My Favourite episode

Post 1

mrspercydarling

I don't really have one single episode which is my fave as they are all good but some stand out from others:

Series 1 - Queen of Spain's Beard - Percy and Edmunds events in the Bedroom "Yes, that's the sort of thing"

Series 2 - Head, Beer and Chains - All fantastic can't decide

Series 3 - Nob and Nobility - kicking the cat, topper and smedley and the end - Plus I am biased as its the only episode with Tim

Series 4 - Private Plane - Rik is brilliant and the whole thing is hilarious

Does anyone agree on any of those?smiley - biggrin


My Favourite episode

Post 2

BecciT

Absolutely!

It's impossible to choose a favourite series, let alone a favourite episode!

Nob and Nobility is classic: the prosthetic nose, the suspicious sausage, Baldrick the "little g-nome"...

Private Plane is genius too: Wee Jock "Poo-Pong" McPlop cracks me up every time! smiley - biggrin


My Favourite episode

Post 3

Blackadderthethird

Well, as you may be able to tell from my username, I believe (controversially) Blackadder the Third to be the best series of the lot; the most consistent and original. Bearing that in mind, my favourite episode is bound to be from that series.

Series 1- Witchsmeller Pursuivant. Great title, great characters, not a huge number of great lines, but plenty nonetheless.

Series 2- difficult to choose, but I think Head was probably the best. It definitely has the best opening of the series ("Now, Baldrick, this is called adding.")

Series 3- Dish and Dishonesty. The electoral satire in this episode is fantastic, not to mention the great jokes and one-liners. The way the catastrophe builds up over the episode is great, even as things seem to be going Mr. B's way.

Series 4- Captain Cook. People get too hung up on "Goodbyee", which is well-written, but nowhere near the best even of that series. Captain Cook, like D&D, is like an episode of Fawlty Towers in its scripting and careful set-up for the ending, unlike some of the others in the series. Great stuff.

Having said all of that, Blackadder's Christmas Carol is excellent, and the Cavalier Years is a very tight script, even if some of the laughs are a little facile. I think that they should be given more recognition, well above and beyond the massively over-hyped and overrated Back and Forth.

Just my opinion, though.


My Favourite episode

Post 4

royalSausage

Sense and Senility for the whole exchange between Blackadder and the foppish actors. The whole "MacBeth" thing was classic! I also the line about the toasting fork in Miss Miggins's head. Still, every episode has great quotes - many of which I use in everyday converation - which causes many people to look at me funny....


My Favourite episode

Post 5

Rob_1305

My personal favourite is Potato from series 2. Especially the scene in the Inn when Edmund is trying to persuade Captain Rum to come along for the voyage. Priceless! smiley - biggrin


My Favourite episode

Post 6

thebowden

Sigh, finally i meet people who find blackadder just as hilarious as me, i loved it for years. My favourite episode at the moment, though its hard to choose, is dual and duality', the bit where stephen fry is kicking george around as a servant is hilarious, and georges father wanting his son to marry a rose bush at the end. :D


My Favourite episode

Post 7

krunchybizkits

For me it's Witchsmeller Pursuivant all the way.

" I haven't seen your broomstick recently your majesty."

The funniest moment in comedy when they are scanning the courtroom for the son of the Great Grumbleduke and the camera goes past the guy in the devil costume. Phenomenal!

"The hair proves it!"


My Favourite episode

Post 8

Odette79

I'm amazed only 1% of the votes have gone to the funniest episode ever - Amy and Amiability, with the best oneliner in the history of all time - 'I'm poorer than a church mouse that just got an enormous tax bill the very same day his wife ran off with another mouse, taking all the cheese'

Miranda Richardson is classic ('What about the Prince's wovely poems that won my hearty-wearty? - All writteny witteny by me-we I'm afraidy-waidy') - and the joke with the squirrels is one of the funniest things they ever did.

Oh and Baldrick as the horse as well smiley - biggrin


My Favourite episode

Post 9

[...]

Thick Jack Clot Sits in the Stocks, and Gets Pelted with Rotten Tomatoes is a play we shall sadly never get to see... smiley - smiley



My Favourite episode

Post 10

theflyingswan

Agree that the third series is the best, it all really came together by then and the characters couldn't have been any better chosen, Hugh laurie being the standout for me.

Also with you on the Witchsmeller.. but I think that "Morning Peasants!" was from this episode...I still use it when the occasion arises.


My Favourite episode

Post 11

theflyingswan

Loved the bits about dying alone on an unrealistic grassy knoll and the classic last scene in which Edmund drops then magically retrieves the breakfast tray.


My Favourite episode

Post 12

deadasthatsquirrel

S1: Witchsmeller Purviant. The cat being called Beelzebubbles always does it for me.

S2: Head. My favourite episode ever. Full of one liners, and the Edmund/Percy exchanges are quality. Also love the Ploppies, (the long winter evenings must just fly by...)

S3: Amy and Amiability. Got my name from there.

S4: Major Star, especially for the badger wrapped in a curtain line.

But they're all great!


My Favourite episode

Post 13

AlanTortoise

As much as I know this will cause an uproar I am not a very large fan of S1. So I cant put a favourite episode as I dont have one. smiley - erm

S2: Bells has to be my all time favourite!! I think there is for a start something sexy about Edmund Blackadder in this series plus the pronounciation of "Bob" can never be challenged as comedy genius!

S3: I love Ink and Incapability! Robbie Coltrain is fantastic and some of the one liners and quotes are amazing!

S4: This has to be the one with Rick Mayll in! Apologies for not remembering the name of the episode! The amount of times I have said "Treat your Kite like you treat your woman" "What take her home on Sundays to meet your mother?" "No, get inside her 5 times a day and take her to heaven and back!"

I love Blackadder most out of all the sitcoms and am so glad that there is a place to talk about it! If any one knows of any other chats about different comedy sitcoms ie: Hancocks Half Hour of Only Fools and Horses please let me know!


My Favourite episode

Post 14

deadasthatsquirrel

I think S1 is the weakest one, too. It think it was Ben Elton that gave the other series the edginess that S1 doesn't really have. I still like it though, because without that one the others would never have existed. I also agree that Rowan Atkinson is extremely sexy in S2!


Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more