Crime Traveller - The TV Series

2 Conversations

In Development

In the late 90s the BBC ran a new series that mixed crime and time travel, it was also supposed to be the first project for Michael French after leaving Eastenders where he had played David Wicks. The series was Crime Traveller and it tried to become the new time travel adventure series for the 90s.

The Two elements for Time Travel by the Professor Turner Method

The Machine

Built by Holly’s father over decades, so it is a bit of a lash up, and semi constantly breaking down due to incompatible and aging parts. But despite it’s rather awkward appearance it is the first fully functional time machine, well, the first machine able to take you back a few hours or days in time. It is located in a room of Holly’s flat and requires all the shutters to be closed in order to create a sealed loop to contain the time travel subjects.

The Timer

This is the special watch which is synchronised with the machine, it will beep an hour before realignment, then constantly for the last three minutes. But it’s role is more than a warning, without it, you cannot use the machine to return to your own time line.

The Technolobabble behind the effect

Right, when you use the machine you are put into an new temporal dimension which runs from some point in the past(no more than a few days back at most) to the point where the machine is used. Once the time is up and the dimension ends you must be realigned to your own time line or you end up in the loop of infinity. The realignment does mean you lose any injuries you acquired in the temporal dimension, but also means it wipes any photos, or other things created or acquired in the temporal dimension.

The Loop of infinity

If temporal dimensions are not realigned you end up spending the rest of time reliving the same trip and the same failure to be realigned with your timeline. In fact Holly’s father is caught in such a loop, never able to return.

Temporal Schisms

When a time traveller meets, or even is seen by an earlier temporal dimension, it can destroy more than their self image, namely everything.

Characters

Holly Turner (Chloe Annett)

Holly is the science officer seconded to Slade’s department, however she is more than the average science officer. She is a physicist with high academic qualifications, not only that but she is the daughter of professor Frederick Turner the noted exponent of the possibility of time travel. So why is she working as a lowly science officer when an academic institution would fall over themselves to employ her? The simple answer is she knows she could not keep the machine that is the proof of her father’s achievements a secret if she worked for an institution. So from the scientific perspective her job gives her the freedom she needs to perfect the machine before revealing it’s existence to the world. However on the down side the low pay makes buying the parts required to finish the investigation and testing of the machine more than a little tricky.

Jeff Slade (Michael French)

Slade is the sort of police officer defence lawyers dream of; he is unorthodox in the way that means he breaks the rules more often than not. Aside from this risk taking and rebellious streak Jeff is also charismatic and witty, which makes finding out Holly’s secret easier than it should have been, even though he doesn’t believe it in the slightest when told.

But having stumbled on his future actions while investigating a murder he suddenly doubts his doubts. And once he has found it was true and it works he tries at every opportunity to use the ultimate detectives corner cutter.

Grisham (Sue Johnston)

Slade’s immediate superior so semi permanently exasperated at his lack of discipline, but amazed at the astounding results he produces, especially recently.

Morris (Paul Trussell)

As thick as a truncheon and half as useful, Morris is a fellow detective but isn’t really that good at his job.

Nicky (Richard Dempsey)

A graduate Trainee full of youthful enthusiasm and theoretical knowledge.

Danny (Bob Goody)

Danny is the doorman of Sundown House, his main job in the series is to be confused by Holly and Slade’s impossible comings and goings, as well as repairing the damage to the building electrics caused by the machine.

Episodes

Jeff Slade and the Loop of Infinity

When Jeff drops himself in it by dropping a villain in the river before they could prove a case against him it looks like the end of his career. But out of the blue the science officer Holly suddenly comes up with the perfect proof, in half an hour, apparently. But thinking back Jeff remembers seeing her at the stake out before it went wrong, when she was also in the office. He doesn't understand how she managed it, but decides to find out.

Death in the Family

When Holly’s aunt is murdered, Jeff taunts her into going back to solve the crime, but instead they end up as the prime suspects.

Fashion Shoot

When a well-known fashion designer gets death threats and her living room redecorated with gunfire, Slade’s department is called in to protect her during the launch of her new collection. It is just unfortunate that she gets shot and Slade gets almost flambéed in the boot of a car. So just this once Holly agrees to use the machine, in part because she doesn’t believe the prime suspect, the designers sister, did it.

Revenge of the Chronology Protection Hypothesis

Having done a lecture on the impossibility of changing the past Holly having heard about Slade being shot goes back and tries to prove herself wrong, without admitting to herself what she is trying to do.

Sins of the Father

Death Minister

The Lottery Experiment

The Broken Crystal


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1010854

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more