Scottish Parliament

0 Conversations

Four years ago on the first of May 1999 the people of Scotland voted for Devolved Government and gained a sort of independence.
It was the biggest mistake we ever made ! All we did was exchange one parcel of rogues for another .Not only that .
Though now Members of the Scottish Parliament ,most of the successful candidates also retained a seat in the House of Commons thus drawing two salaries . Cabinet Ministers too received an extra allowance in both Parliaments .Surely this cannot be right . They even receive allowances for stayng in Edinburgh ,despite the fact they are within an hours journey away .
They are at present in the process of building a new Parliament building on a piece of waste ground in Edinburgh, even though there are empty buildings in the City of Glasgow vacated by the now defunct Strathclyde Region.
By way of an instance of the politicians not listening to the voice of the people ,I put this case , There is a General Hospital nearby which the Scottish Executive wish to close down andon the site build an ACAD or Ambulatory Care and Diagnostic Department .In other words , a day hospital . There have been some 20 or so protestt meetings and I have attended most of them .
A petition signed by no less than 43.000 signatures , a post card appeal whereby more than 10,000 people took the troubkle to send a post card of protest to the Scottish Health Minister .All to no avail .
The Hospital will close and on the site will be built a new Secure Unit to house 76 criminallly insane inmates .
This in the middle of a large housing estate .Five Primary schools nearby .Another five Higher grade schools ,no less than five nurseries, plus three old peoples rest and care homes .
In two months they will come around again with mealy mouthed promises telling us about the great changes they will bring about .All of course to our benefit .
I DONT THINK SO!. There will be much gnashing of teeth from losing candidates who did not take notice of what the people were saying .
As Abraham Lincoln said .'You can fool some of the people All of the time .You can fool ALL of the people some of the time .But you cannot fool ALL of the people ALL of the time '. And so it came to pass :)
Tommy Mac

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1007812

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more