War

1 Conversation


Clausewitz's Metaphor, which is accepted by most strategic thinkers in the area of international politics, says "War is politics pursued by other means"1, where each group has political objectives, and war may best serve those objectives. The political gains are weighed against acceptable costs, and when the costs of war exceed the political gains, the war ceases.


War is basically highly organised theft, in that in and of itself it serves no useful purpose other than to transfer control of whatever it is the two groups are fighting over from the loser to the victor. This item may be something small, like an oil field, something large, like Europe, or something stupid, like a Kings daughter.


For example, Genghis Khans people were good warriors. He united his people and used them to conquer the known world, which mostly consisted of farmers. After this was completed however, there were no more lands to conquer and the warriors, which produced nothing useful, had to settle down and become farmers themselves - although this took a few generations. Indeed Khans great-grandson became known as "The Builder", constructing an ancient equivalent of the United Nations.


Motivating people to go to war usually involves their rulers misinforming or bare-faced lying to them (otherwise known as propaganda) often justifying a war using historical or cultural means, although on occasion a religious or ideological zeal will overtake a nation and the righteous get to bathe in the blood of the sinners. Frequently, the item being fought over is of no relevance to the people doing the actual fighting, who would as happily kill whoever it was 'on their side' that had the bright idea of forcing them into war in the first place. Unfortunately for Joe Conscript however, the first priority of almost every ruling system in the world is to protect itself from people who fundamentally disagree with its legitimacy, so by the time a nations rulers decide to start a war, the more democratic method of removing the leaders and replacing them with more reasonable ones who just want everybody to get along usually isn't possible. Often, anyone refusing to fight for 'their' nation will be branded an enemy of the state and imprisoned or executed, depending on circumstances.

The Spaced Out Guide Menu System

1 and not "War is violent crime: murder, assault, kidnapping, arson, rape, and theft" as presumably their soldiers wouldn't feel as good about themselves

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A994223

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more