Islam and Women

4 Conversations

Introduction

The subject of women has very often been the centre of much debate. Islam's portrayal of women in the west has usually been a poor one. When many people think of Women in Islam they have visions of a woman tied to a sink at home having to do what ever her husband wants of her. The vision is usually accompanied by the vision of a woman who is not allowed to choose who she is to marry and a life that includes beatings from the husband. This basis usually revolves around the fact that the most people know about Islam is what they see in the papers, or on T.V or what people tell them face to face. It is a great shame to here people speaking bad about Islam when they have not, them self?s, read the Quran or Ahadith (plural for hadith). Many of them may have never really spoken to a Muslim properly.
Has anyone of the people who believe these views gone up to a Muslim woman and asked about it?

Though a lot of these things are easy to blame on just the media ones has to also see that most 'Islamic' countries are lead by regimes or goverments that say they are following the true Islamic way of life but are actually drawn to the power of being in charge of people. A easy way to prove this is to look at all the Islamic countries and spot the differences between them. In some countries women can drive in others they can not, In some it is ok for women to not wear hijab in others they must.

If they are all following the Quran and Ahadith as they say they are, then surely they would all be the same but this is not the case.

Is what you see on T.V or in the papers more reliable than the Quran and Hadith that all true Muslims believe in and follow?

Are the leaders of so called Islamic countries really following the Quran and ahadith or are they following a differen't path?

Are the people in these countries following the Quran and Ahadith or are they tainting it with old cultural practices as well?

This entry has been written to look at these questions and show how women are ment to be treated in Islam and so that those who wish to learn the truth about Islam and woman can do so.

To do this we will be looking at the best evidence of all to how women should be treated ? The Quran and the ahadith.

Historical Perspective

As part of the introduction it would be invaluable to take a look at history and see how through the ages different civilisations have treated women.
One theory on the basis of why woman are portrayed as being abused in Islam is that of early India. In India, subjection was a cardinal principle. Day and night women must be held by their protectors in a state of dependence. The rule of inheritance was agnatic, that is, decent was traced through males to the exclusion of females.

In Roman law a woman was, even in historic times, completely dependant. If married, she and her property passed in to the power of her husband, and like a slave, acquired for his benefit. A woman could not exercise any civil or public office? could not be a witness, surety, tutor, or curator, she could not adopt or be adopted and she could not even make a will or contract.?

If we look at Athenian, Scandinavian, English and many more civilisation we see that women were all oppressed in similar ways.

looking at Mosaic law we can see that even it has been influenced by these times.
The right to divorce was exclusive to the Husband, the woman was betrothed and the woman?s consent for marriage was not required.

The position of the church, until recent centuries seems to have been influenced by both the Mosaic law and the thought that was dominant at that time.
In the book Marriage East and West pages 80 and 81 says:

Let no one suppose, either, that our Christian heritage is free of such slighting judgements. It would be hard to find anywhere a collection of more degrading references to the female sex than the early Church Fathers provide.

It goes on to explain that woman was represented as the door of hell, as the mother of all human ills. She should be ashamed at the very thought that she is a woman. She should live in continual penance on account of the curse she has bought upon the world? She should be especially ashamed of her beauty, for it is the most potent instrument of the devil.

One of the worst of these attacks can be found in Tertullian which will not be printed here.

Woman and Islam

In the midst of the darkness that had engulfed the pre-Islamic world a divine revelation echoed louder and louder in the deserts of Arabia. A sublime gracious message for all Humanity that is the Quran.

O mankind, keep your duty to your lord who created you from a single soul and created its mate of same kind and from them twain has spreads multitude of men and women. (Al Quran 4:1)

He (God) it is who did create you from a single soul and from it did create his mate, that he might dwell with her (in love) (Al Quran 7:189)

The spiritual side

The Quran provides unmistakable proof of a woman?s equalness to man in God?s eyes.

For Muslim men and women, for believing men and women, for devout men and women, for true men and women, for men and women who are patient and constant, for men and women who humbles themselves, for men and women who give in charity, for men and women who guard their chastity, for men and women who engage in Allah?s praise, for them has Allah prepared forgiveness and a great reward. (Al Quran 33:35).

So their lord accepted their prayers, (saying): I will not suffer to be lost the work of any of you whether male or female. You proceed one from the other? (Al Quran 3:195).

According to the Quran Eve (pbuh) was not responsible and is not blamed for Adam?s (pbuh) first mistake. Both of them together were disobedient to God, but both repented. God forgave them both see Al Quran 2:36 and 5:20-24).

In Al Quran 20:121 the blame is actually put mostly on Adam and not his wife, which shows that Islam does not believe that the woman?s nature is impure in any way.

Her religious obligations like daily prayers, fasting, poor-due, and pilgrimage are no different from mans. Though due to some events they change to make it easier for her.
During her menstruation period she is exempt from her prayers and fasting. She is also excused from fasting when pregnant and for an additional forty days after her child?s birth and also if she is nursing her baby and there is a threat to her or her baby?s life and is also relieved from her regular duty until her health permits.

Islam permits women to attend the place of worship but they are given the privilege to decide whether to offer prayers at home or at the mosque. This shows Islam?s consideration for the woman, aware that she may be engaged in nursing her child or exercising some other duty that may render it difficult to attend Mosque.
Islam fully accommodates a woman?s psychological make up and takes in to consideration her physiological changes, there by co-ordinating her responsibilities to complement her nature.

Social aspect

Despite the customary pre-Islamic acceptance of female infanticide among some Arab tribes, the Quran forbade this custom and considers it an abominable crime.

And when the female infant buried alive is questioned, for what crime she was killed (Al Quran 81: 8?9).

It also condemns the attitudes of parents who reject their female children:

When news is bought to one of them, of the birth of a female child, his face darkens and he is filled with inward grief! With shame does he hide himself from his people because of the bad news he has had! Shall he retain her on sufferance and contempt, or bury her in the dust? Ah! What an evil choice they decide on. (Al Quran 16: 58-59).

These two verses from the Quran are saying that those who bury their daughters alive will suffer the Hell fire. The first one is speaking future tense towards the questioning from God on the day of the resurrection. When the Baby girl is questioned by God she can not answer this question and will go to Heaven. When the Farther and those responsible are questioned he will not be able to give a response to satisfy God and so is condemned to the hell fire.

Every child?s life is important in Islam and is sacred. God though orders us to be kind and give just treatment to daughters.
Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) said:

Who ever has a daughter and does not bury her alive, does not insult her, and does not favour his son over her, God will enter him into paradise (Ibn Hanbal, No 1957)

And:

Who ever supports two daughters till they mature, he and I will come on the day of judgement like this (and he pointed with his two fingers held together).

The allowance to get an education is extended to women as well as men in Islam.

Seeking knowledge is compulsory for every Muslim (Al Bayhaqi)

(The term Muslim is used here in generic sense, including male and female)

Women as a wife

Marriage in Islam is based on equal partnership between man and woman. Besides perpetuating human life, marriage is stressed for our emotional well being, to provide us with a caring, loving and stable relationship and to foster mental and spiritual harmony between the sexes.

And among his signs is this: That he created mates for you from yourselves that you may find rest, peace of mind in them, and he ordained between you love and mercy. Lo, herein indeed are signs for people who reflect (Al Quran 30:21).

Upon entering marriage the woman is allowed to keep her maiden name as a symbolic statement of her unique identity. Women also have the right to choose their marriage partner and cannot marry with out her free consent.

Ibn Abbas reported that a girl went to the prophet (pbuh) and reported that her farther had made her marry with out her consent. The Prophet (pbuh) told her that she had the choice of accepting the marriage or annulling it. See Ibn Hanbal No.1873 and in Ibn Majah No, 1873 it is reported that the girl said:

Actually I accept this marriage but I wanted to let women know that her parents have no right to force a husband on to them.

A wife is generously taken care of in Islam. Together with all the required provisions for her welfare and protection at the time of marriage, Islam additionally gives the woman the right to a marriage gift (Mahr). This gift is from the Husband as a symbol of his love and affection. This ownership of wealth does not transfer to the wife?s in-laws, farther or husband and is at the disposal of only the woman.
The rules for married life in Islam are simple and in harmony with the natural dispositions of both sexes. Each partner takes the partners concerns and sentiments into account and both recognising the rights of the other:

If they (husband and wife) desire to wean the child by mutual consent and (after) consultation, there is no blame on them?(Al Quran 2:233)

They (women) have rights similar to those (of men) over them and men have a degree over them (Al Quran 2:228)

The later verse is often misunderstood as an example of how men have more rights than women in Islam. This comes from misunderstanding of the Arabic used. The Arabic context of the verse refers to the male's pertaining to economic maintenance and protection of the wife. Islam sees that males are physically stronger than women and has so put a greater responsibility on to them concerning economic maintenance and protection, and over all leadership of the family. This responsibility does not imply superiority over the woman ? this would go completely against the spirit of equality and justice in Islam.

Men are the protectors and maintainers of woman because Allah has given the one more strength than the other and because they support them from their means (Al Quran 4:19).

The Prophet (pbuh) said The best of you is the best to his family and I am the best among you to my family

The most perfect believers are the best in conduct and the best of you are those who are best to there wife?s (Ibn Hanbal, No,7396).

He further said (pbuh):

Behold, some woman came to Muhammad?s wives complaining against their husbands (because they beat them) ? those (husbands) are not best of you.

Here is another verse from the Quran that is always misunderstood by non-Muslims:

Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in the sleeping-places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great (Al Quran 4:34).

The Media and people out to discredit Islam or due to lack of knowledge give this verse as an example of how women are beaten in Islam. The Arabic word translated to hit in the Quran is not a good translation for that word. Its actual nearest translation would be to tap with the hand in a slight manner that does not leave any redness and is not on the face or sensitive part of the body and does not hurt the victim.
It is much like the way a mother will give a gentle slap on the hand to a disobedient child. It is actually a sin to hit the woman any harder than this slight tap. The whole principle of it is also not liked by Islam and should be done when the wife has done some thing very bad multiple times with no remorse.

This 'hitting' can only be done after the husband has tried all other methods of reasoning as well.

Another thing to put in perspective is that the holy prophet Mohammad (pbuh) never hit any of his wives and the Prophet is the best example of how humans should conduct them selves. this is why Muslims follow the Hadith.

Divorce

It is the woman?s right in Islam to decide and choose whom she marries; it is also her right to terminate an unsuccessful marriage. However to prevent irrational decisions taking place in the midst of a trauma that may be developing and for the sake of the family?s stability Islam asks that both parties observe a waiting period of roughly three months (Usually three menstrual cycles) before a divorce is finalised. This enables both husband and wife to cool down, assess the situation rationally and then be in a better position to make the right decision. The waiting period is also to make sure the woman is not pregnant. If she is pregnant then she is entitled to the right for the husband to keep supporting her until the child is born and them to provide money for the child and any other children she may have from him. This right includes the same expenses the husband paid when they were man and wife.

When divorce is unavoidable, God instructs the husband to depart from his wife peacefully with no ill-will or malice:

When you divorce women, and they reach their prescribed term, then retain them in kindness and retain them not for injury so that you transgress the limits (Al Quran 2:228-232).

Mother-ness

In Islam, kindness and obedience to parents is paramount and is enjoined after worship.

Your lord has decreed that you worship none save Him, and that you be kind to your parents? (Al Quran 17:23)

And we have enjoined upon man to be good to his parents. His mother bears him in weakness upon weakness (Al Quran 31:14)

See also 46:15 and 29:8.

Once a woman becomes a mother in Islam, her seat of honour and dignity becomes extra special:

Paradise lies at the feet of your mother, (Al?Nisa?I, Ibn Majah, Ahmad).

It is also reported that a man came to the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and asked:

?O messenger of God, who among the people is the most worthy of my good company?? The Prophet (pbuh) replied ?Your mother?. The man then asked who came next and the prophet (pbuh) replied ?Your mother?. The man yet again asked who came next and the prophet replied yet again with ?Your mother?. The man then asked ?Then who else?? Only then did the prophet (pbuh) said ?Your father? (Bukhari and Muslim)

It is the generous (in character) who is good to women, and it is the wicked that insults them.

Economic rights of women

The economic right of women was denied before Islam and was denied in secular cultures after it and was only awarded to women as late as the 20th century. However Islam gives the right to personal ownership of wealth and property to women. Islam says that the right to her money, real estate or other property does not change when she marries. The woman also has the right to buy, sell, mortgage or lease any portion of her property, independently.

If a woman is married and her husband is niggardly then the wife has the right to take from her husband?s property without consent to satisfy her own and her family?s reasonable needs. This does not mean that she can take his money to buy jewellery without his permission what it means is if the husband does not give her enough money to clothe her self or children properly then she can take from his money with out his permission.

Islam also gives women the ability to work like men do. The role of mother and wife is paramount and indispensable to society. Professionalism, hard work, and loving commitment are the natural skills that a woman as a mother, imparts. How ever Muslim women are free to pursue employment if they are able to, and with the agreement of their husbands if married. Any money a woman earns in a job is her money and if married it is not permissible for the husband to take it. The money can be spent as she wishes and does not have to contribute to the running of the household with it. Though she can if she chooses.
History shows that women?s contribution to civilisation in Islam is in various professions such as teaching, medicine etc.

Islam also gives the Woman the right to inherit, where as in some cultures women are themselves objects to be inherited. The woman is allotted a share of any inheritance and it is hers to do with as she pleases, no one has any rights over her to take possession of that money or property.

Unto men of the family belongs a share of that which parents and near kindred leave, and unto woman a share of that which parents and near kindred leave, whether it be a little or much ? a determined share (Al Quran 4:7).

Normally her share is one half of the man?s share. The variation that occurs is due to the financial responsibilities of the two sexes. The man is responsible for the financial stability of the family and the Woman does not need to worry about it. If a woman has no family to support her then it is considered the job of the community to provide for her. It is not fair if the man or the woman got all the money and neither is it fair for them both to have the same amount. As the Man has the responsibility of the family he is given a bigger portion to reflect on the extra expense he has to pay. For example if a married man with three children and a unmarried sister loses there farther and mother then it would not be fair for them to both get a straight cut of the wealth as it would be the brothers responsibilities to look after, clothe and buy food for himself the family and his sister where as his sisters half can be spent as she pleases.

Political aspect of Women in Islam

A study of Islamic history will show that through the ages there are plenty of examples of women?s political rights in Islam.
Women in Islam have always had the equal to men right of election, nomination to political office and right to participate in all public affairs. We find examples of women activity participating in serious debates with the prophet him self see Al Quran 58:1-4 and 60:10-12. Also during the Caliphate of Omar Ibn al-Khattab, a woman proved to be correct in an argument to which the leader, with humility, declared before an audience: The woman is right and Omar is wrong. This was of course to the woman?s advantage.

Islamic dress

The view in the west of a Muslim woman is that she has to cover her whole body from head to foot. The truth is rather diferent though. Many people talk about the Hijab as being the sign of a womans oppresion though this is actually not a Islamic ruling. Before continuing we must first distinquish one important things about hijab. The Hijab is a scarf that covers the hair of the woman not the face. The actual covering of the face is done by the Niqab. A interesting point to be made is that the word hair is not found in any Hadith, or verse from the Quran in refrence to covering it. Islamic scholors have recommed that a woman should cover her hair but this choice is actually hers, though in some countrys they do not have the choice. This is not actually due to Islamic ruling but rather regimes like the Taliban which do not follow the Islamic rules properly.

The scarf is mentioned in several hadith and in the Quran but it is being asked to be drawn accross a womans bosums. This is because in the days of the Quran being wrote women where wearing tops that revealed a lot of cleaverage and this is not allowed in Isalm so it was asked to draw your scarfs over this area to stop men looking at that area.
We will come back to the head scarf in a bit. Lets focus on the dressing rules as a whole.

A Muslim should cover there bodies with cloths that are not transpaert and tight and must not add to a persons attractiveness.
Meaning the garment its self should not acsant the beauty of the wearer. Standered dress for a Muslim man and woman has the same rules. One should wear loose tousers and a loose top which is long enough that it covers the groin and backside area of a person.
Many people say this is not fair as the woman has to cover her beauty but seem to forget that the man has a equal dress code.

Coming back to the veil we can not find in any Hadith or Sura that it is essential for a woman to cover her hair and certainly none for covering the face. Islam is not the first religion to have women covering there heads as there are Jewish scriptures that suggest a woman should cover her head and in christianity Nuns cover there head by the same choice that Muslim women cover there's which is as a act to show there faith when in public.
The reason why the Hijab and even the Hiqab is in the fore front of peoples minds is that Muslim scholors are taking a strong opinion on this issue at the moment. The problem with this is that a lot of them have not even got a beard and yet there is far more Hadith saying a man should have a beard than any Hadith that mentions scarfs. Meaning that at the moment we find a lot of Muslims making mountains out of mole hills on the subject of women covering the head while not looking at them selfes and seeing there own faults. On one accastion there was a man talking about the hijab and he, him self was wearing shorts (which is not allowed for both sexes)and a tight t-shirt.
So we can see that even thoughing the Hijab is not actually a forefront thing these people are making it sound important, when them selves are not in proper Islami dress.

The reason why both sexes have to cover up in Islam is so that when people are mingling with the opposite sex there is no lust or desire as one can only see the head of the person talking to them or around them. It is also asked that both sexes avert there eyes away from those who are not dressed in a decent manner. This enables women and men to walk and talk to each other nowing that there is no question about there beauty coming in to people minds. Meaning that both men and women get treated the same.

Here is a link to a site with a little more information on the subject though it is wrong in two places. It implies that two things can only be done by Men while they can both be done by either sex. Both has been dealt with in this entry though.

Quran and Women

So what went wrong

This is a question many people ask but there is no short answer.
Some say that after Islam reached its peak and broke up is when it first started though there is no evidence to say truthfully if this is the case.
Many Muslims and non muslims feel that the west is to be blamed, and to be truth full they are but not in every case.
Some examples of this is with the Taliban. This regime came in to power through American backing in the Russian - Afganistan war. Most examples of women being mistreated come from Afganistan. Though to be fare the Taliban actually over through a even worse ragime which was what is now the northern allience.
Another example is Iran. Every one comments about the whole Salmon rushdi episode after the leader of Iran put a futwa for his death on him. Though he was actually ever in any threat on his life as it was only a opinion, people use it as a example of mistreatment. But as in Afganistan it was the west that put the Iranian goverment in to power .


Yes it is east to blame the west for every thing but as I said before this is not entirely fare.Another problem with most of the countries that follow Islam is simpally that the person in power is no longer or never was commited to the path of Islam and is drawn to the power of being incharge.

Even thoughing the peole living in these countries want a shar'ria law based country the goverment will not allow it as it will mean less power and money for the goverment. To keep the people happy they will say we will impose Shar'ria law at such a such a time but when the time comes the goverment changes its mind

A example of this is happening in Pakistan, but this happens in Pakistan nearlly every year and it never becomes a country following only the shar'ria la.

so now we have looked at two cases of why this happens but is there a third reason, well yes there is.

Muslims them selves who ever or where ever should struggle to encrease there faith and work towards getting shar'ria law put in place on all the Muslims countrys. By this we mean by peace full means and not voilent means. Instead of this many people get infused with false values like wealth and where people come from which makes it easyier for them to be drawn away from Islam. This leads to a brakedown of the Muslim Umrah (unity) so we see examples of Muslims fighting Muslims and other such wrongs taking place. This leads people astry and find them selves easy following a path that is not following shar'ria law and this leads to the break down of what is happening in Muslim countries around the world. Though these events are the actions of a few it effects all Muslims.

The only way to combat this is for all Muslims to insist that there countries (Islamic countrys not places like britain and America) impose a proper shar'ria based system. then maybe in the modern world we can see what a Islamic state is really like for our selves and not what we reaf in the history books about the time of Muhammad(pbuh)


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A932663

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more